Windows 7

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
Galen

Windows 7

Post by Galen »

I've just installed Windows 7 and can't get BirdieSync to work any more. The registered version has functioned just fine since it was first installed - no problems at all. The "Options" panel in Thunderbird is not correctly displayed, and the drop downs for selections seem to be compressed vertically and don't open. Any attempt to connect my mobile results in a pop error message from BirdieSync saying it did not run and (it disappears before I can write it all down) to check the Thunderbird settings and retry. The easy question first - does BirdieSync work with Windows 7 ? The difficult one - if it does, why all the problems and how do I fix them? I haven't tried uninstalling and re-installing Birdiesync as I don't want to risk losing any data without asking someone if it's safe to do first.

Regards,

Bob

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Windows 7

Post by Birdy »

Hello Bob,

BirdieSync should work on Windows 7. I will need the logs to analyze your problem. After having closed Thunderbird/Sunbird, disconnected, reconnected your mobile device and waited for the end of the synchronization, could you send your logs with the Thunderbird/Sunbird menu "Tools/BirdieSync/Archive logs..." to support(at)birdiesync.com ?
Thanks.
Birdy

Galen

Post by Galen »

One of the problems that I had with the Win 7 installation was that I found it had not automatically updated Windows Mobile Device Centre - in fact it had deleted some .dll files that are essential to the process. Over the weekend, I updated this and some of the problems seemed to solve themselves. Since the main thing that appeared to be wrong was that the display of BirdieSync in the Thunderbird extensions screen was distorted and unusable, I guessed that a re-install would be essential, so I re-installed BirdieSync. This got most things back to where I was before, and BirdieSync now functions and the configuration screens are now normal. The only problem now seems to be that WMDC now has the four items I sync with BirdieSync (Cards,Events,Mails and Tasks) AND three that relate to Outlook (Contacts, Calendar and Tasks) all ticked. When I connect my phone, it appears that WMDC tries (unsuccessfully, but with no ill effects) to run the Outlook sync, and then the BirdieSync pop-ups appear as normal, and the sync goes ahead successfully. So, in summary, everything works fine, except that I can't un-tick the Outlook settings. If I try, WMDC threatens to delete all the data on my phone. Is there a way to reset that WITHOUT losing the phone data? Since everything works OK now, I don't want to mess things up - but I just have this sneaky feeling that if I don't remove the Outlook settings something might go wrong. Can you advise? Should I just leave things alone, or is there an easy way out?

Regards,

Bob

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

It seems that even if the version of the Windows Mobile Device Center is the same as on Vista, it somehow behaves differently...

Is Outlook installed on your machine ?
Once Outlook categories are selected, it is not possible to unselect them without erasing data on the mobile device. So the only solution would be to delete the partnership (Outlook will also delete all the PIM data on the mobile device...) and synchronize again from Thunderbird to transfer all again on the mobile device. If you haven't Oulook on your machine, you could try to not modify anything. In case, if you change something to your configuration, backup everything before !
You mentioned: "it appears that WMDC tries (unsuccessfully, but with no ill effects) to run the Outlook sync" How do you see that ?
Birdy

glz

Post by glz »

Galen wrote:One of the problems that I had with the Win 7 installation was that I found it had not automatically updated Windows Mobile Device Centre - in fact it had deleted some .dll files that are essential to the process. Over the weekend, I updated this and some of the problems seemed to solve themselves.
Galen:

What did you do to update this? I actually uninstalled WMD and downloaded it from MS and reinstalled, but to no avail.

Thanks.

Galen

Post by Galen »

Birdy wrote:It seems that even if the version of the Windows Mobile Device Center is the same as on Vista, it somehow behaves differently...

Is Outlook installed on your machine ?

Once Outlook categories are selected, it is not possible to unselect them without erasing data on the mobile device. So the only solution would be to delete the partnership (Outlook will also delete all the PIM data on the mobile device...) and synchronize again from Thunderbird to transfer all again on the mobile device. If you haven't Oulook on your machine, you could try to not modify anything. In case, if you change something to your configuration, backup everything before !
You mentioned: "it appears that WMDC tries (unsuccessfully, but with no ill effects) to run the Outlook sync" How do you see that ?
Yes - I've got Outlook 2003 installed. I don't really want to delete all the data on the phone and replace it from Thunderbird, because the Thunderbird contacts don't contain all the data that the Outlook ones do. However, if that's the only way, I could remove all the data, and then resync it with Outlook at work the next day to get the data back, then resync with Birdiesync when I get back home.

What I think is an attempt to sync with both is that when I connect the phone, the sync spinner on the taskbar runs and then stops, and then the Birdiesync Starting/Finishing popup runs afterwards - it looks as though the sync runs, find there's nothing to sync with Outlook and then runs Birdiesync. It's only my impression - maybe that always happens?

Regards,

Bob

Galen

Post by Galen »

glz wrote:
Galen wrote:One of the problems that I had with the Win 7 installation was that I found it had not automatically updated Windows Mobile Device Centre - in fact it had deleted some .dll files that are essential to the process. Over the weekend, I updated this and some of the problems seemed to solve themselves.
Galen:

What did you do to update this? I actually uninstalled WMD and downloaded it from MS and reinstalled, but to no avail.

Thanks.
I've altered so many bits over the last few days, I'm not sure now - but a.f.a.i.k. I downloaded WMDC and installed it over the top of the existing installation.

Galen

Post by Galen »

Having thought about it, I decided to go ahead and reset the sync settings to exclude the Outlook settings. The Sync Centre duly wiped the data from my mobile and then, before I could do anything about it, re-synced and wiped the data from Thunderbird too! I've now got to fall back on syncing the mobile with my copy of Outlook at work to hopefully get the data back, and then re-syncing here to get the data back into Thunderbird - hopefully. As the settings in the Sync Centre here should now be correct, all should be well. However, Birdy, as you mentioned in the first place, it's a tad bizarre that the same version of the same program should not function the same under Win7.

Regards,

Bob

glz

Post by glz »

I GOT IT TO WORK!!!!

I posted how here:

http://www.birdiesync.com/forum/viewtop ... f=2&t=1064