Calendar Categories

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
d-angel

Calendar Categories

Post by d-angel »

Hello,

I am using BirdieSync now for a while with Thunderbird/Lightning. After some time I noticed, that I have Calendar-Categories on my XDA-Calendar which are unused now. I would like to get rid of them, but the XDA-Calendar doesn't offer anything to remove/delete them. Is there any way to do this by BirdieSync or an extra Tool (either PC or XDA)?

I've searched on Google and the usual answer for this is - "use Outlook to edit/delete them". I don't want to use Outlook! I dind't buy a licence for BirdieSync to use that m$ out-thing again ;-)

I would be very happy for any suggestions.

Best regards
Gabriel

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Calendar Categories

Post by Birdy »

Hello Gabriel,

How many calendars do you synchronize ?
Are you under XP ?
Birdy

d-angel

Post by d-angel »

Hello,

thanks for your interest. I am currently syncing 3 calendars, which are hosted on a separate Server (access using WebDAV / ICS-Format). I have about 10 calendar-categories in my XDA. The overhead I want to delete seems to be junk, as some time ago I moved the calendars from one Server to another and some of the calendars didn't have the same name after manually configuring them again in Thunderbird/Lightning. So my XDA seems to think that those are still in use - but in fact they are not any more needed.

Best regards
Gabriel

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

If you use the option "Link calendar to appointment category" in BirdieSync options (which means that the appointment category is always the calendar name), I think the most simple solution would be the following one:
Select no calendar for synchronization in BirdieSync options. Then reconnect your mobile device. All your items on the mobile device will be DELETED. Then select again the calendars you want to synchronize and reconnect your mobile device. All your events will be synchronized again from the desktop but this time with a single category which will be the calendar name.

Of course, before any operation, I strongly suggest you to backup your data as mentioned in this FAQ topic. You may have to also backup your ICS calendars.
Birdy