All voice labels have been deleted!!!

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
bou

All voice labels have been deleted!!!

Post by bou »

Hello

Yesterday I installed BirdieSync to sync my contacts. This worked ok.
This morning I installed The Lightning plugin into Thunderbird.
However when I tried to sync again with my MDA Vario, I got the message whether I would like to combine the contacts from my Mobile and ThunderBird, or whether I would like to replace the contacts on my mobile (why there is no option to replace the ThunderBird contacts is a mystery to me).

Nevertheless, I already synced my contacts yesterday, so I thought I could just replace the contacts on my mobile.

But now it turns out that all my trained voice labels have disappeared!!!!

Please advice how to get my voice labels back, and how I can prevent this error in the future.

I still have a trial version of BirdieSync, the above has to be solved for me to buy a licence.

Regards,

Bou
:(

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello,

I am sorry that you met this problem. If you choose the "Replace" option, it means that all your contacts on your mobile will be deleted and replaced by Thunderbird ones. The problem is that Thunderbird contacts are not an exact replication of Pocket Outlook ones (see documentation for field mapping). So if you attached a voice label to your contacts on your mobile, it is deleted at the same time as the contact. In your case, it means that you must choose a "Combine" option to keep your voice labels.

I agree with you that I never really understood why ActiveSync didn't provide an option to replace the items on the desktop instead of the device. Maybe for security reasons if they think that they must preserve the master database considered as the desktop.
To do the equivalent, delete your items on the desktop to avoid duplicates and choose "Combine".

Presently, if you change the configuration of BirdieSync (profiles, address book or calendar to synchronize), it leads to a complete resynchronization of the mobile. This will very likely change in a next version.
Birdy

bou

Post by bou »

Birdy wrote:Hello,

I am sorry that you met this problem. If you choose the "Replace" option, it means that all your contacts on your mobile will be deleted and replaced by Thunderbird ones. The problem is that Thunderbird contacts are not an exact replication of Pocket Outlook ones (see documentation for field mapping). So if you attached a voice label to your contacts on your mobile, it is deleted at the same time as the contact. In your case, it means that you must choose a "Combine" option to keep your voice labels.

I agree with you that I never really understood why ActiveSync didn't provide an option to replace the items on the desktop instead of the device. Maybe for security reasons if they think that they must preserve the master database considered as the desktop.
To do the equivalent, delete your items on the desktop to avoid duplicates and choose "Combine".

Presently, if you change the configuration of BirdieSync (profiles, address book or calendar to synchronize), it leads to a complete resynchronization of the mobile. This will very likely change in a next version.
I see that I never answered your post.
Thanks for the quick reply.
Apart from the above problem, I've got things running now.
The only (minor) problem that I have now, is that I have to close Thunderbird before connecting my phone. Otherwise it sometimes happens that ActiveSync says that Thunderbird does not respond.
Sometimes, I also get a "Let op" warning with cards, events and tasks. "Let op" is Dutch for "Watch out".

Have you got any ideas to prevent these issues?

Thanks

A satisfied user

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

It is a good thing that you became a satisfied user. :wink:
Regarding the message mentioning that "Thunderbird doesn't respond", it's a known problem that should be fixed in next version of BirdieSync, so I hope very soon.
The "attention required" message can come from a lot of reasons. If it only happens from time to time, that could be related to another known problem (corrected in next version). But I would need the logs to identify the problem. You can copy them and send me them right after the problem occurs as described in this thread.
Thanks.
Birdy