problems with Lightning & new (1.509) version of Thunder

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
jaygo

problems with Lightning & new (1.509) version of Thunder

Post by jaygo »

Hello all,
I'm not sure if this is a birdiesync problem but wanted to mention it in case others were running into it.

First off, Birdiesync and Thunderbird + Lightning had been working perfectly since the initial setup until about a week ago. After two of my clients upgraded to the new version of Thunderbird, Lightning lost their existing calendars and wouldn't let me create a new one. I found a workaround in the mozillazine forums: create a new profile. I got it done, and synching went back to normal for a day. Now once again, Lightning has lost its calendar (on both PCs) and will not let me create a new calendar ("on my computer" or "on the network"). Of course, if Lightning doesn't have a calendar, then birdiesync can't sync it. The only strange thing I see here with Birdiesync is that it won't sync the contacts (cards) either, even though I have selected the correct address book in the birdiesync options (under the calendar options, there are no calendars in the list).

Since the workaround only worked for a day (or perhaps a reboot), I'm going to try and find a real fix. I'll post when I do, but if anyone else is experiencing this, please post here too. Thanks.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Thanks for sharing this problem with us.
Regarding the problem with contacts, could you send me the logs as described in this thread ?

Thanks
Birdy

jaygo

Post by jaygo »

While working on the Lightning issue, I finally had to do a complete wipe of Thunderbird as it wouldn't even let me install Lightning. The steps, for those interested are:
1. copy your thunderbird data somewhere safe
2. uninstall thunderbird
3. delete c:\program files\thunderbird
4. delete \user name\application data\thunderbird
5. run regedit and delete all thunderbird references (this will also force you to reinstall birdiesync)
6. reinstall thunderbird, lightning, and birdiesync

So now I've got Lightning behaving again. I'm guessing that the initial problem was caused by all the thunderbird installations we've done on this computer: somewhere around 10 upgrades over the past year or two. It left stuff scattered in a number of different directories.