BirdieSync deleted all my email!

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
robb

BirdieSync deleted all my email!

Post by robb »

I installed the latest BirdieSync for ThunderBird 2.0 this morning, and first inidcations were good. It copied all my XDA's contacts into ThunderBird's address book, all my XDA's appointments into Lightning, and my ThunderBird Inbox onto my XDA.

However, a few synchronisations later I noticed that my XDA's Inbox was now empty. To my horror, so was ThunderBird's! All 124 messages had been deleted...

Fortunately, they were still in ThunderBird's Deleted folder, so I could retrieve them. (Although, the Deleted folder on my XDA was empty.)

But now BirdieSync would not sync. ActiveSync told me to disconnect and reconnect my device. I do so but it didn't help. ActiveSync (on my PC) just kept "Looking for changes" and refused to quit. And ActiveSync and Outlook (on my XDA) also refused to quit.

I rebooted both my PC and my XDA, and managed to re-sync. But I'm not sure I can trust BirdieSync with my Inbox any more...

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello Robb,

Was it the first time you installed BirdieSync or did you install a previous version before ?
Do you remember if you modify something in BirdieSync options between the moment when you synchronize your mails for the first time and the moment they were removed ?
Do you remember a message mentioning that the BirdieSync options were modified and that you had to reconnect your mobile ?
Could you send to support(at)birdiesync.com the file WCESMgr.log located in C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Temp ?
Thanks.

In the last BirdieSync version, mails are never completely removed on the desktop but are moved to the trash folder to be able to recover them in case of problem.
Birdy

robb

Post by robb »

Hello Birdy,

Thank for the reply.
Birdy wrote:Was it the first time you installed BirdieSync or did you install a previous version before ?
This was my first install.
Birdy wrote:Do you remember if you modify something in BirdieSync options between the moment when you synchronize your mails for the first time and the moment they were removed ?
The only thing I remember changing is telling ActiveSync not to open when synchronising.
Birdy wrote:Do you remember a message mentioning that the BirdieSync options were modified and that you had to reconnect your mobile ?
No. I may have got a message something like that immediately after install (and if so I'd have done as I was told) but the problems occurred later.
Birdy wrote:Could you send to support(at)birdiesync.com the file WCESMgr.log located in C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Temp ?
Will do.
Birdy wrote:In the last BirdieSync version, mails are never completely removed on the desktop but are moved to the trash folder to be able to recover them in case of problem.
I was very pleased to find them there! However, most, if not all, of the tags had been removed (but then ThunderBird's tag handling is a bit buggy anyway).

Hopefully it was a glitch. I really don't want to go back to Outlook...

Cheers,

Robb