Syncing from PDA to PC makes mail vanish in both places

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
forked
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:59 am

Syncing from PDA to PC makes mail vanish in both places

Post by forked » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:14 am

Hi,

Birdie Sync worked fine when I first installed it.
Now, trying to sync mail from the PDA makes it disappear both places.

I have posted the error logs on my site rather than Tolstoy this thread.

http://www.forkedatfark.org/Tutorials/B ... MM.LOG.txt

http://www.forkedatfark.org/Tutorials/B ... og.log.txt

http://www.forkedatfark.org/Tutorials/B ... gr.log.txt

I am using WinXP SP2.
I am using the latest versions of Active Sync, Birdie Sync, and Thunderbird.

Thanks
Last edited by forked on Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Birdy
Site Admin
Posts: 3015
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:43 am
Contact:

Post by Birdy » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:08 pm

Hello,

Could you tell me at which date (and time if you now it) the problem first occured ?
Thanks.
Birdy

Birdy
Site Admin
Posts: 3015
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:43 am
Contact:

Post by Birdy » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:01 pm

When I look at the last traces in the log, it seems that the mails are still on the Pocket PC and I saw no traces that indicated that the mails were removed from Thunderbird by synchronization. :shock:

Could you described me precisely what happened ?

Without modifying your BirdieSync options, could you give me a link on Preferences.xml file located in C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\BirdieSync\ (Application Data is a hidden folder: in explorer window, you must check the option "Show hidden files and folders")
Thanks.
Birdy

forked
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:59 am

Post by forked » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:17 pm

Birdy wrote:Hello,

Could you tell me at which date (and time if you now it) the problem first occured ?
Thanks.
I think it first happened about a week ago.
Then it worked fine, but lost my mail today.
I checked all the folders on the PDA Outlook, but don't see it anywhere.
I saw it vanish off the PDA screen during the sync.

forked
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:59 am

Post by forked » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:21 pm

Birdy wrote:When I look at the last traces in the log, it seems that the mails are still on the Pocket PC and I saw no traces that indicated that the mails were removed from Thunderbird by synchronization. :shock:

Could you described me precisely what happened ?

Without modifying your BirdieSync options, could you give me a link on Preferences.xml file located in C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\BirdieSync\ (Application Data is a hidden folder: in explorer window, you must check the option "Show hidden files and folders")
Thanks.
Okay, here it is.

http://www.forkedatfark.org/Tutorials/B ... rences.xml

I just looked at the file and thought maybe it didn't ftp correctly, but my local version is the same.

Thanks

Birdy
Site Admin
Posts: 3015
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:43 am
Contact:

Post by Birdy » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:26 pm

If I looked at the logs, for today, it seems that 49 new mails were detected in Thunderbird. Then they were transfered to the mobile (the following synchronization detected them). Presently you don't have any mails under Pocket Outlook and in Thunderbird ?
Birdy

forked
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:59 am

Post by forked » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:26 pm

I just opened the file in Dreamweaver and got something else entirely.

I think this is more what it should look like.

http://www.forkedatfark.org/Tutorials/B ... es.xml.txt

forked
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:59 am

Post by forked » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:28 pm

Birdy wrote:If I looked at the logs, for today, it seems that 49 new mails were detected in Thunderbird. Then they were transfered to the mobile (the following synchronization detected them). Presently you don't have any mails under Pocket Outlook and in Thunderbird ?
No mails in any folders in Pocket Outlook.

Birdy
Site Admin
Posts: 3015
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:43 am
Contact:

Post by Birdy » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:40 pm

Do you still have them in Thunderbird ?
(in any case, make a backup of your Thunderbird profile: C:\Documents and Settings\<users name>\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\<profile id>
)
Did they disappear on the mobile as soon as you connected your mobile for synchronization ? Did you see them disappear progressively with a number like 4/188 in ActiveSync window ?
Birdy

forked
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:59 am

Post by forked » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:50 pm

Birdy wrote:Do you still have them in Thunderbird ?
(in any case, make a backup of your Thunderbird profile: C:\Documents and Settings\<users name>\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\<profile id>
)
Did they disappear on the mobile as soon as you connected your mobile for synchronization ? Did you see them disappear progressively with a number like 4/188 in ActiveSync window ?
Can I use Mozbackup for that?

Yes, I was seeing them disappear one at a time from the PDA and not going to Tbird.

However, I just got a topic notification for this thread and it first came to the PC and then went to the PDA also.
So, it is in both places now.

Birdy
Site Admin
Posts: 3015
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:43 am
Contact:

Post by Birdy » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:58 pm

I think it's possible to use Mozbackup. Copying the profile directory is a more global action...

So if I understand well, you received mails directly on your PDA, wanted to have them synchronized with Thunderbird but they disappeared. But you still have the mails that were previously synchronized with Thunderbird ?
Birdy

forked
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:59 am

Post by forked » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:10 pm

Birdy wrote:I think it's possible to use Mozbackup. Copying the profile directory is a more global action...

So if I understand well, you received mails directly on your PDA, wanted to have them synchronized with Thunderbird but they disappeared. But you still have the mails that were previously synchronized with Thunderbird ?
I could also copy the whole profile folder to another partition.

Yes, I received mails directly to the PDA through wifi.
Answered some mails and then wanted to add them all to my Tbird archive.

You ask if I still have mails that were previously synced with Tbird?

Not quite sure what you mean by this.
I have mails in my Tbird archive from earlier in the week when I was able to move mails from PDA to PC.

Also, a few days ago, when I had the PDA connected, I saw mails go from Tbird to the PDA, which was connected to charge.
It took a few attempts at replugging to get the mail back to Tbird, where I wanted it.

Thanks.

Update:
I just now had Tbird closed because I was running MozBackup.
(Why was I doing that anyway?)

While it was running some mail came into the PDA which isnt connected to the wifi right now
Last edited by forked on Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Birdy
Site Admin
Posts: 3015
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:43 am
Contact:

Post by Birdy » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:35 pm

you ask if I still have mails that were previously synced with Tbird?

Not quite sure what you mean by this.
You are synchronizing 3 folders: Inbox, Save and Sent. Normally, as you didn't set any mail synchronization period, all the mails of these Thunderbird folders should be present on the mobile (in ActiveSync/E-mail Outlook mail account) and vice versa.

If you receive your mail under wifi on the mobile, how do you succeed in moving it to your ActiveSync/E-mail Outlook mail account folders (only mobile mail account which is synchronized) ? I suppose that you received it in a separate mail account on your mobile (maybe I am wrong) ? I thought it was not possible to move mobile messages from one mail account to another.
Birdy

forked
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:59 am

Post by forked » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:52 pm

Birdy wrote:
you ask if I still have mails that were previously synced with Tbird?

Not quite sure what you mean by this.
You are synchronizing 3 folders: Inbox, Save and Sent. Normally, as you didn't set any mail synchronization period, all the mails of these Thunderbird folders should be present on the mobile (in ActiveSync/E-mail Outlook mail account) and vice versa.

If you receive your mail under wifi on the mobile, how do you succeed in moving it to your ActiveSync/E-mail Outlook mail account folders (only mobile mail account which is synchronized) ? I suppose that you received it in a separate mail account on your mobile (maybe I am wrong) ? I thought it was not possible to move mobile messages from one mail account to another.
Late at night, after I have shut down the PC, I sometimes answer some mail to my PDA via wifi.
In the morning, I try to sync the mail to my Tbird archive.

I have six accounts on both PDA and PC.
In Tbird, I just store them all in folders under Local Folders.
Though Pocket Outlook makes me store them in a separate group of folders for each account.

Not sure if that answered your question or not.

Birdy
Site Admin
Posts: 3015
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:43 am
Contact:

Post by Birdy » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:01 pm

In which Pocket Outlook mail account and in which folder did you write your mail ? Was it in ActiveSync/E-mail Outlook (only this mobile mail account is synchronized) or in another mobile mail account ? Was it in mobile draft folder ?
Is the mail that disappeared a mail that you wrote on the PDA ? Did you sent it while your mobile was connected by wifi ?
Birdy

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests