thunderbird crashes at start after birdiesync installed

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
gboussin

thunderbird crashes at start after birdiesync installed

Post by gboussin »

Dear support team,

I installed today the last version of thunderbird 2 with the last version of lightning 0.5. I tested lightning, everything was fine.
As I am using an iPaq, I wanted to install birdiesync (after some reading, as your software seems nice). Until now, I use ActiveSync only to backup my iPaq, not for sync with anything.

Before installing birdiesync, I have updated ActiveSync from 4.2 to 4.5.
When I installed birdiesync afterwards, everything seemed to be OK (installation on iPaq, and Activesync), but now I cannot run thunderbird : it crashes at start.
NB : even a reinstallation of birdiesync or thunderbird does not change anything

AppName: thunderbird.exe AppVer: 1.8.20070.7281 ModName: externalservice.dll
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 0001eab2

Here is some log of interest in C:\Documents and Settings\**\Application Data\BirdieSync\Log :

Local 13/09/2007 17:03:11::0953 BirdieSync: version 1.6.0.3
Local 13/09/2007 17:03:12::0125 Operating system: id 2, version 5.1, SP 2.0

Local 13/09/2007 17:22:16::0546 BirdieSync: version 1.6.0.3
Local 13/09/2007 17:22:16::0578 Operating system: id 2, version 5.1, SP 2.0
Local 13/09/2007 17:22:16::0609 Thunderbird: version 2.0.0.6
Local 13/09/2007 17:22:16::0640 Lightning extension: not installed
Local 13/09/2007 17:22:16::0671 WARNING: Could not initialize address book manager with profile path = '' (GetLastError = 0)
Local 13/09/2007 17:22:16::0718 WARNING: Current profile has not been chosen to be synchronized (GetLastError = 0)

I would be happy if you help me to make it work, or at least to be ble to restart thunderbird....

THANKS !

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello,

First of all: make a backup of your profile:
C:\Documents and Settings\<users name>\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\<profile id>

I tried to be in a configuration like yours: no Lightning (was it the case as mentioned in the traces ?) and no preferences but Thunderbird started properly.

If you start thunderbird manually in a command window with the option "-ProfileManager" then create another profile and use it. Does Thunderbird start normally ? Note that you can then switch to your previous profile with the same command.

If you want to start thunderbird in safe mode: start Thunderbird in a command window with the "-safe-mode" option. Then disable BirdieSync extension and restart Thunderbird.
Birdy

gboussin

Post by gboussin »

Thanks Birdy for your support.

After having played around with the configuration, I succeeded in restarting thunderbird, after dropping the line calling birdiesync in extension.ini.

After thunderbird was starting, I reactivated lightning.
=> thunderbird + lightning are totally OK.

But as soon as I go enabling the birdiesync extension in the extension manager, and I restart thunderbird, I have the same crash at start I told you about mentioning the externalservice.dll

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Yes it is a BirdieSync component. Maybe there is something special in your profile that BirdieSync didn't like. That's why I suggested you to create a new Thunderbird profile to see if you can start Thunderbird with it and BirdieSync.
Birdy

gboussin

Post by gboussin »

Thanks !

I started thunderbird with the profile manager.
I created a new profile, and started with it. I canceled the wizard for the mail accounts creation, and then I had a popup for setting up birdiesync. I chose the synchronization option for the other profile (the main one).

Then I restarted thunderbird with my main profile, and after I enabled the birdiesync extension, it could restart without problem.

I can now access the extension options through the options button of the thunderbird extension manager.
There are now 2 problems :

- in the options, in the calendar setup pane, it is written undefined in blue for the timezone, with no choice selected in the select box. If I change this timezone, even after thunderbird restart, it still remains "undefined".

- when I sync my ipaq (I tried events and tasks, and then only synchronizing tasks) : if thunderbird is open, it says I should close it to allow it to open thunderbird. So I close thunderbird, and then with the sync it opens thunderbird automatically and starts working. But nothing is synchronized, and it says with a white popup at the bottom right of the screen : "initialization failure" for birdiesync thunderbird extension. I tried after relaunching as suggested in the window, but still the same error.

So what are the next steps ? ;)

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

What you mention looks like a problem of profile...
Do you have several versions of Thunderbird installed on your machine ? Did you always use the same when configuring BirdieSync ?
After Thunderbird is started, did you use the "Use current Thunderbird" button ? (that's the best way to choose the current profile and path). Are the values automatically chosen ?
Do you still have your time zone problem ?
What is the exact blue message below the time zone ?
Thanks.
Birdy

gboussin

Post by gboussin »

After my last message yesterday I have shut down windows. I just started it, and now Thunderbird crashes again and again at start, with always the same error:

AppName: thunderbird.exe AppVer: 1.8.20070.7281 ModName: js3250.dll
ModVer: 4.0.0.0 Offset: 00020f8f

So I start thunderbird with the profilemanager option, I create a new profile to start with it (I killed the empty profile I created yesterday - NB : Before yesterday I had only one profile), I cancel the wizard for setting up email accounts. It works OK, and no popup for birdiesync opens (in contrary with yesterday, after I created a new profile - I suppose it just opens once at first start of extension).

Thus I close thunderbird, I restart it with the profile manager with my "normal" profile, and I still have :
AppName: thunderbird.exe AppVer: 1.8.20070.7281 ModName: js3250.dll
ModVer: 4.0.0.0 Offset: 00020f8f

To be able to work before having your next post, I open extension.ini to take away :
Extension0=C:\Program Files\BirdieSync\Thunderbird Service
so thunderbird starts fine, but lightning does not appear to be active, eventhough it is considered to be activated in the extension manager.
If I restart, it is still the same.
I go to the extension manager, to disable lightning in order to be able to reactivate it after thunderbird restart.
But at thunderbird restart, I have :

ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 0001eab2

Then I "played around" with disabling lines in extension.ini and then the extension manager if thunderbird could start, to have thunderbird working with lightning enabled, and birdiesync disabled (if it is enbaled, I get the externalservice error.

To answer your questions :

- when yesterday I have settup the birdiesync extension with the wizard after I started thunderbird with a new profile (called test), I selected all options indicating I wanted to sync with my "main" profile (called default). So each time there was a select between default and test, I chose default (every select automatically chose test before I changed manually to default), and I don't think I ever clicked on Use current Thunderbird.

- in the timezone, the exact blue message was : "undefined" written in blue under the select box ; the select box had a blank selection (with all the timezones selectable under the blank choice if you use the select with the mouse). I cannot say if I still have this timezone problem as I could not enable birdiesync today

I hope it can help.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Could you close Thunderbird, delete ThunderbirdService.log, then relaunch Thunderbird and after the crash tell me the content of ThunderbirdService.log ?
Thanks.
Birdy

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

I sent you by email a new DLL to install for investigation.
Could you then give me the offset of the crash in ExternalService.dll ?
Thanks.
Birdy

gboussin

Post by gboussin »

I activated the birdiesync extension to have my thunderbird crashing.

Here is the log ThunderbirdService.log :

Local 14/09/2007 17:11:04::0593 BirdieSync: version 1.6.0.3
Local 14/09/2007 17:11:04::0609 Operating system: id 2, version 5.1, SP 2.0
Local 14/09/2007 17:11:04::0625 Thunderbird: version 2.0.0.6
Local 14/09/2007 17:11:04::0656 Lightning extension: version 0.5
Local 14/09/2007 17:11:04::0671 Lightning extension is enabled

I just saw your new message. I take a look and I come back!

gboussin

Post by gboussin »

I have done what you proposed in your email:
- Close Thunderbird
- Go in C:\Program Files\BirdieSync\Thunderbird Service\components\
- Rename ExternalService.dll to ExternalService.dll.backup
- Copy the ExternalService.dll joined to your mail in this directory
- Launch Thundebird again (still with BirdieSync enabled).

Here is the error :

ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 0001eb42

It is the same as before.
NB : I checked the size of both old and new dll, both are 978 944 bytes.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Thanks. Actually the offset was not exactly the same... Even if the size is identical, the library differs slightly.
I sent you a new DLL for testing.
Birdy

gboussin

Post by gboussin »

.... with the new dll : no crash at thunderbird start ...

I will test further and then I will post the results

gboussin

Post by gboussin »

... the time zone works ...
I could set it up in the options with no problem...

gboussin

Post by gboussin »

... and I can now sync my calendar!!!!
That's cool, it worked! I have my 413 items that went from my ipaq to lightning, and I could modify an event that was afterwards put to my ipaq.
So it seems to work.

I appreciate your very professionnal support, thanks a lot.

I will now be happy to continue testing during a couple of weeks before paying the license fee with pleasure :)

Have a good weekend!