Upgrade to 1.6 failed

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
Robert

Upgrade to 1.6 failed

Post by Robert »

I have a XDA Orbit running Windows Mobile 5.1, and I was happily using Birdiesync 1.5.5 to talk to Sunbird 0.5 on a laptop and desktop PC.

Then Sunbird on the PC prompted me to install version 0.7. So I let it upgrade itself, but discovered that the palmtop would no longer sync.

Checking the "add-ons", I found Sunbird was saying that the Birdiesync add-on/extension was not compatible with that version of Sunbird.

I went to the Birdiesync site, and saw that Birdiesync 1.6.3 worked with Sunbird 0.7. So I downloaded the installer and ran it.

The installer ran without problem. But once I'd finished, the palmtop still would not synchronise. On investigation, I found Sunbird still showing Birdiesync version 1.5.5 and saying it was not compatible. All the options (including "Uninstall") were greyed out.

Re-booting made no difference. Nor did repeating the Birdiesync 1.6 installation.

So what do I do now to get the PC working again? How do I get rid of the old version of Birdiesync? Windows add/remove software lists Birdiesync 1.6, and gives me the option to uninstall that. But...

Do I try to reinstall Sunbird? Windows? Or what?

And what about the laptop? How should I go about upgrading that?

Robert.
--
Robert Inder
Edinburgh

Robert

Found the solution...

Post by Robert »

I've managed to sort this.

I rummaged around, trying to find what in Sunbird still knew about the old BirdieSync. I found it in an "extensions.ini" file. To find out more about this file, I Googled for "Sunbird" and "extensions.ini". And it brought me straight to the Birdiesync site, and the "Procedure to install..."!

So the best source of information on Sunbird's extension mechanism is the BirdieSync page. It is sad that that is the case, but still..

"Well done Birdy".

But

In that procedure to install, upgrade or uninstall, I notice that it says I should first uninstall Birdiesync, to get rid of the old version. Note, though, that once Sunbird had upgraded itself, it wouldn't let me uninstall BirdieSync 1.5: the "Uninstall" button was greyed out! So I had to follow the instructions for cleaning up the extension manager.

Birdy: I think nowadays it is normal to upgrade a package by just installing the new version over the top of the old one. So I think lots of people are going to make the same mistake as me. Your instructions to recover the situation were clear, and worked, so I think you need to try to put something at the end of the install process that tells people where to find them.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Robert.
--
Robert Inder
Edinburgh

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Upgrade to 1.6 failed

Post by Birdy »

Hello Robert,

I think you are right. If it is possible, the upgrade process will be improved so that it is only necessary to install the new version over the new one. Actually, installing the new version over the old one usually works. But sometimes it's possible to have problems with the management of extensions in Thunderbird or with the removal of BirdieSync mobile part under Windows Mobile 5.0. Anyway, maybe it will be possible to implement some workaround to easy the upgrade process.
Birdy