some issues with Birdie synchronization

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
migliris

some issues with Birdie synchronization

Post by migliris »

Hello all,

I've been using BirdieSync for 2 months now, it is really handy, and congrats to the developpers.

However, I've found some issues with the synchronization, here they are:
- when a picture is sent inline and not as an attachment, it is not syncrhonized with the mobile device
- the second adress line of a contact's information is not syncrhonized, and the custom fields aren't as well
- each e-mail appears in double, i.e. when you click on it, you can see twice the body of the message, one after the other
- I also synchronized the sent folder, but it is tiring to browse through, as the field displayed is "From", but as it is the "Sent" folder, that will always be me! Could the development team set it to display the "To" field in this particular folder?
- when you synchronize an outbox message, Thunderbird doesn't apply the default format to it, namely it doesn't apply the html formatting (color and font) but lets the message in plain text, and it doesn't apply the "word wrap", meaning that if you write on long e-mail in without paragraphs, Thundebrird will send it in only one line, which makes it very tedious to read.

I found these issues relevant to be posted here for further improvementa, any suggestions or further inquiries are welcome

PS: an issue that is not related to Birdie Sync but Windows Mobile: when I add someone to the address book in the mobile device, it will always set the "Display name" to "Last name, First Name". It is not a BirdieSync issue, but does anyone know how to set it to the normal "First name Last name" without the coma?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello migliris,

First of all, thank you for reporting these problems. That should help improving BirdieSync.
- when a picture is sent inline and not as an attachment, it is not syncrhonized with the mobile device
By now, messages in HTML are converted to text before being synchronized. And the image is lost in the process.
- the second adress line of a contact's information is not syncrhonized, and the custom fields aren't as well
It's an old limitation, but I think it should be possible at least to merge the two address lines. But in that case the synchronization from the mobile device to Thunderbird will have to clean this second address line (everything will be stored in the first line). The synchronization of the custom fields could be a feature developed in the future.
- each e-mail appears in double, i.e. when you click on it, you can see twice the body of the message, one after the other
It's very likely because some mails have two bodies at the same time: one in simple text and the other one in HTML. Of course it would be better to only keep one.
- I also synchronized the sent folder, but it is tiring to browse through, as the field displayed is "From", but as it is the "Sent" folder, that will always be me! Could the development team set it to display the "To" field in this particular folder?
Not sure that it would be possible to do something about it. It regards Pocket Outlook which doesn't offer the possibility to display the "To" field in the "Sent" folder.
- when you synchronize an outbox message, Thunderbird doesn't apply the default format to it, namely it doesn't apply the html formatting (color and font) but lets the message in plain text, and it doesn't apply the "word wrap", meaning that if you write on long e-mail in without paragraphs, Thundebrird will send it in only one line, which makes it very tedious to read.
By now, all HTML messages are converted to simple text. Maybe it will be possible to synchronize HTML content in the future.
Birdy