Birdie TB Mail Sync w Mutli Pop3 + Global Inbox Problems

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
dcparsons

Birdie TB Mail Sync w Mutli Pop3 + Global Inbox Problems

Post by dcparsons »

I have read the other posts regarding syncing folders in the Local Folders. My config as follows: PC: XP MCv03, TB 2.009 and Lightning 0.7 with Bsync 1.6. PDA= Unlocked HP 6950 Intel 270 Proc WM5 with Outlook 03. Active Sync version is most current version.

TB Setup: 6 Pop accounts feeding to 1 Global Inbox.

I am having 2 problems:
1) Download Sync PC to PDA: When I update from desktop to PDA, all my emails from the global inbox are dumped into the first Pop account present on my PDA. Since Windows M5 Outlook just lists Pops a/c's alphabetically it is just dumping everything into the first a/c. This is not necessarily a problem, but I would like to choose which one to dump the Global Inbox into since the 1st entry alphabetically happens to be the least used email address.

2) Upload Sync PDA to Desktop: When upload sync takes place, I have a problem with the "sent" folder syncing. I can't find the sent emails on my PC after syncing. Since I am using a Global configuration, there is only 1 inbox and 1 sent box. Other user created folders for sorting read messages all appear under Local Folders, but there is only the 1 Inbox and Sent Box. I wonder how BSync is handling the multiple Pop3's on my PDA - I don't see any user control areas to configure this.

So I don't know where the sent emails are going or if they are being sync'ed at all. (Maybe it is only grabbing the first "sent" box from the 1st Pop3 account in mobile outlook and since it's the least used, usually does not have any emails in the sent box for this account?)

Any suggestions would be helpful.

dcaparsons

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Birdie TB Mail Sync w Mutli Pop3 + Global Inbox Problems

Post by Birdy »

Hello,

All the folders located under "Local folders" should be synchronized on the mobile in the "E-mail Outlook" account and not in another pop3 mobile account. So if you tell me that your folders are synchronized in another mobile mail account, it's not a normal behavior. The only way to synchronize in other mobile mail accounts is to synchronize them with Thunderbird mail accounts which have their own tree (Inbox, Sent, folders, etc.) different from "Local Folders" one. Could you confirm that your "Local Folders" folder is not synchronized in "E-mail Outlook" ?

Could you confirm that you synchronized the "Sent" folder and not the "Outbox" folder ?
Birdy

dcparsons

Post by dcparsons »

In Bsync options, SENT is now checked off. Only Inbox (Global) and Top Empty Folder for personal folders (in Local Folders) is checked off.

By checking off SENT in TBird BirdieSync options, this now causes my entire SENT folder from the desktop to be copied to my PDA. This is not what I was looking for. Normal Mobile Outlook only copies SENT folder from PDA to PC, not the other way around. PDA does not need 3 months of SENT mail, at 100mb. (I have checked this off again).

From the ActiveSync side all the Outlook options are disabled as per your install instructions. Only the BirdieSync "Mails", "Cards","Events" and "Tasks" are checked off.

Once again here is my problem:

The "Outlook" POP email "Account" profile on the PDA is empty, because I never send anything from it. I have 6 POP3 ACCOUNTS, ALL have their own SENT folder (no other way to configure in Mobile Outlook). I need to be able to have the contents of my other ACCOUNT SENT folders uploaded to my TBird Global SENT folder.

I do not want the contents of the PC SENT folder to copy to the PDA because of the large size (>100mb). In Outlook to Outlook mode, default is SENT folder only sync'd 1 way PDA->PC not both ways PDA<->PC.

How do I get Birdiesync to look at the SENT folders of the other 6 ACCOUNTS on the PDA? (remember that inside Mobile Outlook there is no way to COPY or MOVE an email between ACCOUNTS. You can move between folders inside 1 ACCOUNT (like SENT to DRAFTS etc) but you can't move, so right now I can't get the SENT emails for the other Accounts to sync back to the PC TBird SENT.

A simple question: Does BirdieSync handle other ACCOUNTS created in Mobile Outlook or just the original Default "OUTLOOK" account?

dcparsons

Post by dcparsons »

Sorry, I just read you full post a second time. Maybe I am missing the point. It would appear that you are saying that BirdieSync does not support Global Inbox / Sent mode in T Bird. Am I correct?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello,

There are two kinds of mail account in Thunderbird. It depends on the option you checked when you created your account:

- The mail account was created with the "Use Global Inbox (store mails in Local Folders)". All the Inbox, Sent, Outbox, etc. are shared with "Local Folders" tree. It means that this mail account will share its Inbox, Sent, etc. with all the other mail accounts created with the same option. All these folders (and so these mail accounts) will be synchronized on the mobile in the "E-mail Outlook" account. Note that this account is only used for synchronization and that you cannot use it to send or receive mails from the Internet.

- The mail account was not created with the option "Use Global Inbox (store mails in Local Folders)". The account is stored in a tree independent from the "Local Folders": it has its own "Inbox, Sent, Outbox, etc". It doesn't share any folder with other mail accounts. It is not synchronized in "E-mail Outlook" on the mobile, but in a mail account that you must create yourself on the mobile with the same exact name as Thunderbird one. So for instance, both mail accounts (on the mobile and in Thunderbird must have the name "My mail account").
Then all the folders of the Thunderbird mail account will be synchronized in this particular mobile mail account where you can send and receive mail from the Internet.

So if you want to synchronize mails that you send to Internet from your mobile, you must synchronize this mail account with an independent mail account in Thunderbird (not stored under "Local Folders").

Presently, the synchronization of the "Sent" folders is synchronized both ways as it is for other folders. I understand that it could be interesting to have it only synchronized in a single way but I suppose it depends on what you want: you may like being able to consult on your mobile the mails you sent previously.

To limit the size of the synchronized mails, it is recommended to keep low values for the maximum body and attachment sizes.
You can also restrict the period of synchronization to only keep recent mails.
Birdy