Can no longer sync following BirdieSync install

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
Jebboy

Can no longer sync following BirdieSync install

Post by Jebboy »

I've installed the latest version of BirdieSync in order to sync my new HP iPAQ 110 series Classic Handheld (running Windows Mobile 6) with Thunderbird 2.0 and Sunbird 0.7 as my default e-mail and calendar software. A number of problems have occurred since. I would be grateful for any help in either resolving the issues so that it all works or how to uninstall/re-install applications at least to allow syncing to resume if not with these apps.

Prior to installing BirdieSync, my handheld was syncing with MS Outlook 2003 although the Calendar and Contacts folders were empty. MS Oulook is no longer set on my desktop as the default mail handling application, Thunderbird is. I'm syncing via USB.

The only step during installation that didn't work as the instructions said it should was when turning off the sync to Outlook options and turning on the Mails, Tasks, Cards, and Events options. At the required stage, I was not able to access Tools/Options on my desktop ActiveSync application (it was greyed out) although I could access these options on my mobile device so I checked/unchecked the options there. When I review these settings on my mobile device now, I can see that the Outlook options remain unchecked and the Mails, Tasks, Cards, and Events options are checked, though they are all shaded (behind the text) in grey and I cannot now change these settings again if I wanted to (the Outlook options are not shaded, however, and I can switch checking on and off on these).

I've tried to sync a few times since so i don't know if I've compounded any problems (not very sure about how all this works "behind the scenes"), but what happens now is:

First, I get a message on my handheld device telling me that one (the top one) of my mail accounts in Thunderbird "could not be found", and I'm instructed to "create it on the mobile before synchronizing again".

After clicking OK, my desktop ActiveSync app tells me that it cannot connect with the mobile device and I have to disconnect/reconnect to relaunch ActiveSync. Meanwhile, on my mobile I get a message that "A problem has occurred with repllog.exe", and I get the option to send an error report to Microsoft if I wish. That's the end of the process, and my desktop ActiveSync just has a red cross symbol and the message "Synchronization error".

On my mobile device, it appears that there is no longer any e-mail account set up as the "Outlook E-mail" account; that is (I think), the default non-web-based e-mail account that my mobile device is supposed to sync with. This is supposed to be Thunderbird (now) and would have been (and was) Outlook before I installed BirdieSync. Does this mean that the problem stems from my mobile device not knowing about or being able to find my Thunderbird application properly, and this is then knocking out the whole sychronization process?

I've written down everything I think is now different compared to the situation before I installed BirdieSync. Some of the things may be red herrings or unrelated issues, but I don't know so erring on the side of caution.

I'd uninstall BirdieSync and start over if I could, but I can't seem to be able to do this simply either: immediately I try, I get a message that I "must unselect synchronization with Thunderbird in ActiveSync options window BEFORE uninstalling BirdieSync !". I don't know how to find this window (and if it's the Options window under the Tools menu in my desktop ActiveSync, that is greyed out).

Be grateful for any assistance. Having a bit of a hair tearing out episode here! :cry:

Many thanks

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Can no longer sync following BirdieSync install

Post by Birdy »

Hello,

Thanks for all the information. It must have taken a while to write. :wink:
On my mobile device, it appears that there is no longer any e-mail account set up as the "Outlook E-mail" account;
Your "Outlook E-mail" account very likely exists on the mobile. But it is not shown on the default welcome screen of Pocket Outlook (don't ask me why). But you should be able to see it when you navigate in your mail folders on the mobile.
I was not able to access Tools/Options on my desktop ActiveSync application
The ActiveSync options can only be modified if the synchronization is successful. That's because ActiveSync needs to store all the selected categories for synchronization on the mobile. So the Tools/options menu is always grayed out if your mobile is not synchronized.
First, I get a message on my handheld device telling me that one (the top one) of my mail accounts in Thunderbird "could not be found", and I'm instructed to "create it on the mobile before synchronizing again".
A problem occurred because you selected for synchronization a mail account in Thunderbird that was not yet created on the mobile. You must create this mail account on the mobile with the same exact name as in Thunderbird. In the creation wizard, this field is called "Display account name". Note that you cannot modify it once the mobile mail account is created. Please refer to BirdieSync help file for more information.
Birdy

Jebboy

Post by Jebboy »

Thank you for your help so far.
A problem occurred because you selected for synchronization a mail account in Thunderbird that was not yet created on the mobile. You must create this mail account on the mobile with the same exact name as in Thunderbird. In the creation wizard, this field is called "Display account name". Note that you cannot modify it once the mobile mail account is created. Please refer to BirdieSync help file for more information.
I'm not sure I know how to create this mail account on my mobile device. I know how to create accounts for Internet e-mail, and I'm pretty sure when I first got going that the "Outlook E-mail" account on my mobile sync'd automatically with my main mailbox in MS Outlook on my PC. Do I set the account up as if I was intending to download/send my e-mail via the Net (i.e. so my mobile device can also communicate directly to my e-mail server via wi-fi)?

Jebboy

Post by Jebboy »

Okay, so that is what I needed to do. It is all explained in the help file, but perhaps I didn't quite understand it properly before. I re-created on my mobile device the Yahoo account that is also listed as a separate (from the local folders) account in my desktop Thunderbird. I called the account, in the "Display account name" field in the account creation wizard on my mobile device, the same as the name of the account in Thunderbird. As soon as I'd done that, everything else fell into place and synchronization worked, including with Sunbird. Great! Now I can buy my full registration. :D

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Good news ! :)
Maybe it will be necessary to improve the help file regarding this particular point.
Birdy