Categories

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
Keiron

Categories

Post by Keiron »

Hi,

I finally got around to registering BirdieSync today...

I have a problem with task categories, I want to be able to create tasks on my computer that appear on my pda (an spv m700) - this works, but the drop down box for categories in Thunderbird always reads as "None" with no entries (yet I have lots of entires for categories on my pda - I do sync with Outlook at work as well).

Any ideas?

K.

Keiron

Re: Categories

Post by Keiron »

Ignore the above, it was the fault of the Lightning plugin, I assume if I create the Categories in Lighning they will be mirrored on the Pocket PC?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello,

The categories on the mobile device are not directly synchronized from Lightning ones but are created automatically if at least one appointment are attached to them. In the same way, they are removed if no more appointments are attached to them.

So if you synchronize an event attached to a given category, this category should be automatically created on the mobile if it doesn't already exist. But if no events are attached to a category defined in Lightning, this category will not be created on the mobile device. Also if on the mobile device the last appointment which is attached to a category is deleted, the category is automatically deleted on the mobile device.
Birdy

Keiron

Post by Keiron »

That's not happening, I've created a few categories in Lightning, assigned tasks to them, but the categories never appear in those categories on my device? - They just appear in "Home" ? Which is also the name of the Calendar lighning thinks they're in - is this significant?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Did you select the option "Link calendar to appointment or task category" in BirdieSync options ?
Birdy

Keiron

Post by Keiron »

I can't remember, and I'm not in front of my machine at the moment - what should it be set to?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

If you selected the option "Link calendar to appointment or task category", the category of the appointment or the task will be replaced with Lightning/Sunbird calendar ones. So that could explain why you find "Home" in the appointment or task category. If you want to know more about the use of this option, please refer to the documentation. If this option is not selected, you should find Lightning/Sunbird calendar category in the item synchronized on the mobile device.
Birdy

Keiron

Post by Keiron »

And if I have categories already on the device (because I've synced with Outlook my tasks already) are these likely to be created in Thunderbird/Lightning as well - or do I need to create duplicate categories that match them here?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

If you have categories on the mobile device they will be created automatically in Thundebird when a new mobile appointment belonging to this category is synchronized in Thunderbird. Note that only the first category of the mobile appointment will be taken into account since Thunderbird can only attach a single category to an event or task.
Birdy