Losing custom field entries in address book

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
daveb

Losing custom field entries in address book

Post by daveb »

Hi,

I'm syncing a Palm Treo running WM6 using Birdiesync 1.6.4. I'm using the custom fields in Thunderbird to store names of spouses and children, which have separated named fields in Pocket Outlook. Obviously these aren't synchronised (it would be nice if I could specify a mapping to make this happen but I recognise that's wishlist item). I try to keep these in sync by hand.

The problem is, Birdiesync has just resynchronised all 650 of my contacts from scratch and I'm lost the values of the custom fields. I have saved an exported version of the address book, but last time I imported a saved version, this forced another complete resynchronisation and I ended up with duplicates of everything - one of each pair had the extra values on the Treo and the other had the extra values in Thunderbird - so I was no better off. Is there anything I can do in this situation or do I have to enter the custom values by hand again?

I'm not actually sure what caused the resync this time. It might be something to do with the fact that I created a new address book, moved some entries into it, then changed my mind and moved them back again. I'm mapping Thunderbird address books to Outlook categories. I got a message that complained that the address book named in the profile couldn't be found (or something along those lines).

Incidentally, the error message only gave the first letter of the address book name instead of the whole string, which suggests a minor code error in a printf statement.

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Losing custom field entries in address book

Post by Birdy »

Hello,

The problem is that the Custom fields are not synchronized with Pocket Outlook (there is no equivalent). So if you have to recreate a card in Thunderbird from a Pocket Outlook contact you will loose this information.

The Spouse, Category, Birthday, Anniversary fields are synchronized but you need to install a special add-on to view them:
MoreFunctionsForAddressBook

By now, maybe it will be necessary to store the "children" information also in the "Spouse field".

Regarding the synchronization of the custom fields, that's a feature that other users requested...
Birdy