Old PDA WMDC and BirdieSync Issues

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
onsiterep

Old PDA WMDC and BirdieSync Issues

Post by onsiterep »

Okay here we go... I have a new laptop w/Vista. I am trying to sync my old Dell Axim X5 (with MS Pocket 2001 v.3.0.11171) to T-bird via Birdie. The problem is the "WMDC/ActiveSync is not installed" message which stops the application. It turns out that my Axim is not compatible with WMDC, and (it gets better) when I tried to install ActiveSync 4 I have the message that 4 is not compatible with Vista. Therefore, I cannot run anything which will allow me to run Birdie which will allow me to sync 300+ contacts. So, I am looking for any existing workarounds. I know this all goes back to the fact that MS is the devil, but this is where I am at the moment so a little help is always welcome.

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Old PDA WMDC and BirdieSync Issues

Post by Birdy »

Hello,

On Vista, BirdieSync relies on the WMDC (wich replaces ActiveSync) and cannot work without it.
If your mobile device has a version prior to Windows Mobile 2003 (you mentioned that it was running under Pocket PC 2001), it will not run with the WMDC. Note also that BirdieSync is not compatible with mobile devices prior to Windows Mobile 2003.

A solution would be to try to upgrade your operating system on your mobile device. It is sometimes possible with some Dell mobile devices.
Birdy

onsiterep

Post by onsiterep »

Thank you for the response. :D I have sent my Dell to the showers, and have a new T-mobile Wing which runs Win Mobile 6. Believe it or not I still cannot get Birdie to install. I am getting the reply that I need to install WMDC which came preinstalled, and works fine as I can sync my Wing with it. I saw the other post on this and I have checked my OS and I have the 32bit version of Vista. I just downloaded the newest B-sync, but alas I cannot install it. Same error message.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Maybe the installation of the WMDC is different if it is preinstalled.
If you know how to use a registry editor, could you check that the following key is defined:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Mobile Device Center\6.1
Thanks.
Birdy