Time zone pb with Windows Mobile 6

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
stephan_angel

Time zone pb with Windows Mobile 6

Post by stephan_angel »

Hi,

I am trying to synchronize (tasks and events) Sunbird 0.7 with my Pocket PC on Windows Mobile 6, and I have an error saying that time zones are differents, but there are in fact the same (Europe/Paris, GMT+1 Paris, Madrid), date and time are the same, etc. It was working fine with the same parameters on Windows Mobile 5.

An idea (or a patch) to solve this big issue ?

Thanks

Stephan

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Time zone pb with Windows Mobile 6

Post by Birdy »

Hello,

The problem is that it's possible that the definitions of time zones are not the same on your mobile device and in Lightning (although the names could be similar). For instance, the day to change the daylight saving time (DST) could be different (the rule could have changed in your country after your mobile device was released).
The best thing to do is to try to apply a patch on the mobile device like mentioned in this thread.

But unfortunately, I don't think that Microsoft updated its time zones for all the countries...

So if applying the patches recommended by Microsoft doesn't work, what I suggest is to try a different time zone on the mobile device and reconnect it to eliminate the difference between your mobile device and Lightning. But that could lead to a difference of +1/-1 hour with your mobile device.
Note that this is often a temporary solution and that this problem should be automatically fixed after a certain date when the two time zones finally has the same daylight saving time.

You could also send the file ThunderbirdService.log to support(at)birdiesync.com, which is located in:
XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<users name>\Application Data\BirdieSync\Log\
Vista: C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\BirdieSync\Log
(Application Data is a hidden folder: in explorer window, you must check the option "Show hidden files and folders")

In this log, the difference between the mobile device and Lightning is mentioned and it's possible to see which part has an incorrect time zone definition, when compared to a time zone web site.
Birdy