Migrating from Outlook/ActiveSync to Lightning/BirdieSync

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
bmelloni

Migrating from Outlook/ActiveSync to Lightning/BirdieSync

Post by bmelloni »

I used to use Outlook with my company's Exchange server, and ActiveSync to locally sync my WindowsMobile phone to my PC.

I have (mostly) switched to Thunderbird/Lightning to connect to Exchange (mostly - because due to known Lightning bugs I still have to create appointments in Outlook - hopefully fixed in 0.9). Since my "live" calendar entries are now reside in Lightning, I am considering switching to BirdieSync to keep my phone's calendar synchronized.

I suspect that before following the BirdieSync install procedure I have to "disassociate Outlook from my phone". Is this correct? And if so, how do I do it?

Thanks

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Migrating from Outlook/ActiveSync to Lightning/BirdieSync

Post by Birdy »

Hello,

If you used to synchronize with Outlook on the same machine where you synchronize with Thunderbird/Lightning/Sunbird, it is recommended to stop synchronizing with Outlook to avoid potential unresolved items. But some users prefer to still synchronize with Outlook, in which case there is an option in BirdieSync options to stop checking that the Outlook synchronization is not selected.

To stop the synchronization with Outlook, you must unselect "contacts, calendar, tasks and e-mails" in ActiveSync/Windows Mobile Device options. Note that under Windows Mobile 6, it will delete your items on the mobile device. So it is highly recommended to do a backup of your PIM data with a tool like PPCPimBackup.
Birdy