Unable to uninstall previous version

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
Gareth_Horne

Unable to uninstall previous version

Post by Gareth_Horne »

Just about to upgrade to 1.7.0.1 to get sync working again with the latest version of lightning, as I've done many times before.

Backed up my data, and gone to uninstall the previous version of BirdieSync. Soon as I select the unistall program in the BirdieSync directory AVG finds a 'Trojan horse BackDoor.Generic10.KJH' in it and moves it to the virus vault. :shock: False positive? Never have any problems with virus's normally..

Anyhow I've now got no automatic way of removing the previous version of BirdieSync so I can upgrade, any chance of a walk through of the bits I need to delete to do it manually? (W2K on desktop, PPC Windows Mobile 2003 SE)

thanks

Gareth

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Unable to uninstall previous version

Post by Birdy »

Hello Gareth,

Other users reported this error. This is very likely a false positive.
The file was tested with http://www.antivirustotal.com
Only AVG reported an error. The 35 other antivirus found the installer clean.
This problem occurs with both BirdieSync 1.6.10.1 (which was released more than 2 months ago) and 1.7.0.1.

A mail was sent to AVG to signal them the problem.

By now, it is not recommended to manually uninstall BirdieSync. I hope that AVG virus definition will be updated soon.

Thanks.
Birdy

Gareth_Horne

Re: Unable to uninstall previous version

Post by Gareth_Horne »

Thanks Birdy - restored the unistall program from the virus vault, and, with this mornings AVG update it is no longer flagged as harmful.

Can now uninstall and upgrade as I normally do.