Sync Error with Lightning 0.9 & BirdieSync 1.7.0.1

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
Flo

Sync Error with Lightning 0.9 & BirdieSync 1.7.0.1

Post by Flo »

Two days ago I updated Lightning to version 0.9 and BirdieSync to 1.7.0.1. But since then synchronization doesn't work any more. Every time I try to sync my calendars and contacts active sync first try to find any changes within my calendar or contact data. It takes quite a long time until active sync starts to sync my contancts. During this it still looks for changes within my calendar. After a couple more minutes thunderbird crashes.

After upgrading I didn't change any settings or any thing else that would explain the crashes.

So perhaps some one has similar problems or know a solution.

Bye Flo

dudus

Re: Sync Error with Lightning 0.9 & BirdieSync 1.7.0.1

Post by dudus »

I have exactly the same problem. :?
David

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello,

Could you just confirm that use a classical version of Thunderbird (not a portable version) ?
Which version of BirdieSync did you use before upgrading ?
Thanks.
Birdy

jean marc

Post by jean marc »

hello
I mean it's my problem..but I'm not sure
If somebody can help me....

jean Marc

mtbchik

Post by mtbchik »

Same issue with me!! Any help yet?

And no, it's not a portable Thunderbird. I also have a google calendar as well as a local calendar and have tried to sync independently with no success for either of the calendars.

Flo

Post by Flo »

Hi,

I never used a portable version of thunderbird, I always use a normal installation.
To be honest I'm not sure which version of BirdieSync I used before but I think I could remember that I updated BirdieSync 2-3 month ago before updating to the actual version.

So are there any other things I could tell you to get a hint to solve this problem?

father24

Post by father24 »

I'm using a Treo 700wx and I just installed WM 6.0 (from Verizon) and then followed the FAQ for upgrading BirdieSync and I haven't had this problem yet. I've successfully sync'ed twice since the upgrade and haven't had any issues. Did everyone uninstall BirdieSync from their PC's and their handhelds before installing the newer version of BirdieSync? If the problem develops on my device I will certainly report back.

-father24

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Actually this kind of problem could happen if BirdieSync extension was not properly uninstalled before upgrading because Thunderbird extension manager doesn't properly detect the upgrade. But the new version of BirdieSync tries to solve this problem, at least on classical version of Thunderbird. Anyway, it is always a good idea to properly uninstall BirdieSync before upgrading as mentioned in the FAQ.

Flo, dudus, mtbchik, I sent you by mail a new version of BirdieSync to investigate on the crash. Please respond directly to support(at)birdiesync.com
Thanks.

jean marc, did you notice a crash in Thunderbird too ?
Birdy

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

I sent you a new version that should fix the crash problem. It happened if an error occurred while setting an event on the desktop.
Birdy

dudus

Post by dudus »

I'm sorry but I still have the problem. I just sent you an email with a screenshot of the error.
David

smashdotcom

Post by smashdotcom »

I have the same problem, somewhat remedied by removing contacts from synchronization. Calendars (local and google) and Tasks now sync. However can't get contacts to sync. (I do not synchronizing my email accounts so don't know if that works)

ubraeune

Post by ubraeune »

I faced the same Synchronisation-Problems as you mentioned above, after the upgrade to Sunbird 0.9. After downloading and installing the new BirdieSync Version 1.7.0.1 the problems where not solved. The Microsoft Windows XP Software-Folder still shows me the Version 1.6.10.1 to be installed. So I tried to install the 1.7.0.1 Version again, with the same result.

So maybe the Link to the Download-File for Version 1.7.0.1 still points to the old Version 1.6.10.1.

Could somebody of you please check, if she/he has the same problem!

Many thanks in advance!

Udo

galgo

Post by galgo »

After successfully using Birdiesync for over a year, I've now got the same problem after updating to Birdiesync 1.7.0.1

Bridiesync takes ages 'looking for changes', gets half way through syncing the events and then Thunderbird crashes. The sync appears to continue, but the events never end up on my phone.

I've spent most of today completely uninstalling all of the components (Thunderbird, lightning and birdiesync) and then putting them back from scratch but I still have the problem.

I have Thunderbird 2.0.0.17
Lightning .9
and birdiesync 1.7.0.1
Activesync 4.5.0 on a WinXP-P machine

I tried it first of all with just the contact syncing and that worked fine, as soon as I add the events into the mix the problems start. At that point taking the contact out of the sync and just leaving the events doesn't help so it seems that for me, it's the events that are causing the problem.

My calender for the evens is a google calendar if that helps. The only other extensions I have installed at this point are a UK dictionary, the provider for google calendar, import & export tools and birdiesync. I've tried restricting the number of events to 1 week to try and troubleshoot this but I'm still having the same problem.

Sadly Birdiesync is unusable for me at the moment until I can figure out what the problem is.

quicksilver1024

Post by quicksilver1024 »

Just wanted to let the creator know that there's also at least one more person with the same problem.
This is a huge problem for BirdieSync users who rely on syncing their mobile with Thunderbird.

PLEASE FIX! :|

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Peter Kao

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

A new version of BirdieSync (1.7.0.2) was published which solves the problem of crash. However this crash was hiding another problem with some specific events in Google calendars which cannot be read by BirdieSync. By now, these events are under investigation to find out if the problem comes from BirdieSync or the Google calendar provider. The consequence is that the synchronization can loop forever because of these particular events.
Birdy