Migration OL to TB with Birdiesync

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
quert

Migration OL to TB with Birdiesync

Post by quert »

Hi,

I strongly consider changing completely from Outlook (Calendar, eMails, Adressbook and Sync with my PocketPC) to Mozilla TB with your Birdiesync. I am willing to pay the 20 Euros, if I change, as I like TB flexibility...

However some questions arise:
To start:

1. I see that TB does not offer so many fields to enter Telephone Numbers and E-mails etc.
More precise:
E.g. for one contact I have entered an Office, Car, Private1, Private2, Mobile1, Mobile 2 and a Fax Number. Tb offers only 4 Tel. fields !!
Also TB offers only 2 E-Mail Addresses to enter, whereas OL offers 3 !

I really need to keep all these Data, also of course to keep it updated with my mobile device using Birdiesync.

So would I loose all these important information when doing the change from OL to TB ?
Is there a solution ?

Thank you !

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Migration OL to TB with Birdiesync

Post by Birdy »

Hello,

By now some Outlook fields are not synchronized (you can check which fields are synchronized in BirdieSync help). So even if these fields can remain untouched after a first synchronization (if you choose the "combine" option when you establish your partnership), they could be erased in some cases (when removing duplicates for instance if you rebuild the partnership).
So it is not recommended to keep information in these additional fields.
I understand your need but I have no real workaround for the moment.
Birdy

quert

Post by quert »

Birdy wrote:Hello,

By now some Outlook fields are not synchronized (you can check which fields are synchronized in BirdieSync help).
hanyk you for your honest answer !

Could you please give me the help file, so I do not have to install Birdysync just for looking at the help file.

Thanks

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

I sent you the help file by e-mail. You should see how fields are presently mapped between Outlook and Thunderbird.
Birdy

quert

Post by quert »

Thank you, received
but:
I can open the .chm file, however exept of the COntent I cannot see anything. I guess he cannot find the content without the full installation.
Would be hayppy for a PDF or html or simple text file.

Thank you,

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

The CHM file shouldn't need a full installation to be used.
A version converted to PDF was sent to you.
Birdy

quert

Post by quert »

Received !
Thank you !

Do you have any plans regarding a better adress book usage with TB 3 ?

I would very much like to start using TB together with my PocketPC, so will there be major changes re subject above ?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

a better adress book usage with TB 3
Could you explain what you mean exactly ?

It's difficult to give a precise answer to your question. Presently a possibility would be to synchronize Thunderbird Custom fields 1-4 with some particular Pocket Outlook fields that you could choose. But it would only allow to synchronize 4 additional fields.
Another solution would be to store all the Pocket Outlook fields in a particular format in the note fields for instance. But it's not a very nice solution and would lead to potential errors if this format is improperly modified...
Birdy