iCalendar WebDAV synchronization hangs

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
lusk

iCalendar WebDAV synchronization hangs

Post by lusk »

Hello
My Lightning calendar is stored on the apache web server using WebDAV protocol and ICS format.
When I try to resynchronize this calendar with my PDA it very often hangs - this means that ActiveSync is still synchronizing, Thunderbird process is at 100% CPU usage (and it is not even possible to terminate it without using "force") and the calendar file on my server is corrupted (Thunderbird probably re-uploads this file on every change and this time only a part of it is uploaded).

Apache also logs following message: [Sun Jan 18 10:10:42 2009] [error] [client 195.22.38.48] (104)Connection reset by peer: Could not get next bucket brigade [500, #0]

My calendar file has size around 60k. Recent Lightning versions also have an option for experimental cache for remote calendars - but the problem is the same regradless if it is enabled or not.
It happens to me for a year (or even longer), so it is not limited to the most recent versions of mentioned applications.

BR
Tomas Lusk

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: iCalendar WebDAV synchronization hangs

Post by Birdy »

Hello Tomas,

I sent you a new test version by email to investigate on your problem.
Birdy

stevie

Post by stevie »

Hello Birdy.

I am facing a quite similar problem. I also use iCalender on a WebDAV server and until a couple of days ago it worked pretty fine. But for some days now, BirdieSync is not even able to start the synchronisation. When pluging my PDA to the laptop via USB, the PDA is recognised and MS ActiveSync starts automatically, saying it would look for changes now. And that's it. It keeps on looking for changes for hours, until I manually interrupt it.

What is strange is that it worked with the WebDAV server for a while. So I'm not sure whether this is really the problem. But I thought, it would fit well to this topic.
Since you suggested to do BirdieSync updates AFTER the syncronisation finished, I don't know how to do updates (as syncronisation never finishes). Maybe it's quite simple and the latest version of BirdieSync could solve my problem?

Currently I am using BirdieSync v. 1.7.0.1 with Thunderbird v. 2.0.0.19, incl. Lightning.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Cheers
stevie

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello stevie,

There are different reasons why ActiveSync could be stuck on "Looking for changes". The main reasons are listed in this FAQ topic.

After having closed Thunderbird/Sunbird, disconnected, reconnected your mobile device and when you see it is stuck on "looking for changes", could you send your logs with "Tools/BirdieSync/Archive logs..." to support(at)birdiesync.com ?
Thanks.
Birdy

lusk

Post by lusk »

Hello all,

Birdy tested my configuration and there is no problem in BirdieSync.
On the other hand I found some issues in Apache and simultaneously in Lightning which might be connected with this problem.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=410874
https://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/show ... i?id=42896
https://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/show ... i?id=38148

There is no sign that those bugs will be fixed (soon), but someone might find the links useful.

Good luck with your Apache
Tomas

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Thank you for sharing this information with us.
Birdy