How to sync with 2 pc (lightning and Outlook)

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
Pebrok

How to sync with 2 pc (lightning and Outlook)

Post by Pebrok »

Hi,

I did not find a clear answer on the forum.
I sync my mobile on both of my computers at home (thunderbird and lightning) and at the office (outllook and activesync).
I have trouble getting it to work : wether I loose all my calendar info or I have to create a new partnership on outlook.

What is THE sync setup to sync on two computers having different software (outlook and thunderbird).

Thanks,

Pebrok

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: How to sync with 2 pc (lightning and Outlook)

Post by Birdy »

Hello Pebrok,

Could you tell me where all your information (contacts, appointments) is before synchronizing ? Does Outlook contain all this information and Thunderbird empty ?
Thanks.
Birdy

Pebrok

Post by Pebrok »

Yes,
I usually sync first my PPC with outlook at the office, so Outlook and my PPC have all the information and Thunderbird is empty.
By the way, I only use sync for calendar and contacts.

Thanks,

Pebrok

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

The first thing to do is to backup all your Outlook data.

Then on your mobile device when disconnected, open ActiveSync (Start/ActiveSync) and click on Menu/Options. You should then get the list of all your partnerships (they record how you synchronize your mobile device with a particular machine). Note that with ActiveSync it is not possible to get more than 2 partnerships for a mobile device (which means that you can only regularly synchronize with 2 machines). So if you have already two partnerships, delete the one which is not related to your Outlook synchronization.

Ensure that your Thunderbird address book and calendar are empty. Check BirdieSync configuration (Thunderbird path and profile, default address book and calendar). Then connect your mobile device. During the establishment of the new partnership, select "cards" and "events" (not "contacts" and "appointments" which are Outlook categories). If you are on Windows XP choose the "Combine" option (caution: the "Replace" option would delete all your contacts and appointments on the mobile device, and in Outlook at next synchronization). On Vista, the "Combine" option is always chosen. At the end of the synchronization, all your contacts and appointments should be transfered to Thunderbird.
Birdy

Pebrok

Post by Pebrok »

Hi,

thanks for your answer.

I miss the first step : how do I erase the existing calendar and contacts on sunbird ?

When I look at the calendar properties, it says : moz-profile-calendar://
Where is that ?

Thanks,

Pebrok

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

You can see all your events with the "Find events" button in Lighting/Sunbird. Then you can select and delete your events.
You can also see all your cards in the address books, select them and delete them.
Birdy