Precondition 412

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
moreloci

Precondition 412

Post by moreloci »

Hello,

I'm not sure if the problem I have is due to BirdieSync or Lightning.

My setup:

XP Pro SP2
Thunderbird 1.5.0.8
Lightning 0.3
BirdieSync 1.3.0.2
ActiveSync 4.2

iPAQ hw 6515x (CPU type: PZAQ72)
HP Pocket PC 2006, Prem Phone GSM w/Outlook 2002

Remote ical calendar on an apache/mod-dav webdav server.

Installing BirdieSync went fine, got a message on the ipaq that it could have a problem showing the application screen because it was written for an older OS.

Synchronizing address book -> OK
Synchronizing events and tasks -> unresolved items

Got the following error message in Lightning:

Status code 412
Pre condition failed

Lightning set the remote calendar to read only and when you try to untag read-only during the synchronisation process, the same error pops up again.

Recreating the remote calendar and reloading/refreshing it before sync did not resolve the problem.

Before I'm going on a quest to resolve this problem, I want to check If I have made any mistakes with the Birdiesync installation.

Is this a known problem and is it caused by BirdieSync (other remote calendars work fine)?
Do I need to do some 'unlocking' on the ipaq?
Or do I need to configure something on the ipaq for BirdieSync?
Any other things I need to watch?

Thanx,

- Remi -

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello,

You are the first one to report this kind of error. Other users use the synchronization with remote calendars and it seems to work fine. But it doesn't mean that we don't have a problem with yours...

My first question is, without BirdieSync (I mean without connecting your mobile), do you have problems reading and modifying your remote calendars. Is your remote calendar read only ?

I don't think that this problem could be related to a "locked" mobile since you were very likely able to select events and tasks in ActiveSync options window.
Birdy

moreloci

Post by moreloci »

I can create/modify/move/remove events in the remote calendars just fine, thats the point.
The calendars are not read-only and the permissions on the webdav server are ok.

I could select events/tasks in the activeSync options so that must be ok. BirdieSync did detect the ipac OS as version 2003.

I have used this remote calendar webdav setup for quite a few customers (using sunbird, not lightning), but this is the first time I need someone to sync it's ipaq.

Apache error log snippet:

Thu Nov 23 12:28:10 2006] [error] [client 192.168.xxx.xxx] The precondition(s) specified by the "If:" header did not match this resource. At least one failure is because: an entity-tag was specified, but the resource's actual ETag does not match. [412, #0]

Sunbird did have a bug that caused this behaviour, but it should be fixed in 0.3

If you need any more details or logs, let me know.

moreloci

Post by moreloci »

I will install apache 2 on the server and do some more testing tomorrow.
If you have any info on this problem, please share.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

It could be nice to isolate the problems. Do you succeed in synchronizing some events for instance or are they all unresolved ?

If you have only one event in your remote calendar, do you succeed in synchronizing it ?

I will need some logs to investigate your problem and check if can find some errors on BirdieSync side.

Please, close Thunderbird, disconnect and reconnect your mobile.

Right after the problem, without restarting any process (Thunderbird for instance) and without disconnecting your mobile to avoid the overwriting of the logs, please, could you send me the following logs (to support@birdiesync.com):
On the desktop in C:\Program Files\BirdieSync\log: DesktopProvider.log, ThunderbirdService.log (if you use Thunderbird) and SunbirdService.log (if you use Sunbird)
On the device in \Program Files\BirdieSync: DeviceProvider.log and BirdieWatcher.log (if present)
In C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Temp\ : WCESMgr.log

Could you also send me your Preferences.xml file located in C:\Program Files\BirdieSync

If case you have problem in copying "DeviceProvider.log" on the device because of a sharing violation:
On your device. Launch the file explorer. Go to \Program Files\BirdieSync. Copy and paste DeviceProvider.log on the device(not on the desktop) in the same directory . That should duplicate the file DeviceProvider.log to another file named "Copy of DeviceProvidere.log". This copy will not be locked and you should be able to copy it to the desktop.

Thanks.
Birdy

ThomasS

Re: Precondition 412

Post by ThomasS »

Hi,

I'm having the same problem. I have Thunderbird and Lightning running on Desktop PC. My calendar files are online on my server and accessed via webdav. I think the error is only caused when events are synchronized from my XDA Orbit 2 (WM6) to my desktop PC. It results in the same error: Thunderbird sets my calendar to read-only...

Have you found a solution yet?

Best regards,
Thomas

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Precondition 412

Post by Birdy »

Hello,

The calendar is set to "read only" very likely because an error occurred while synchronizing from the mobile device to your remote calendar.

I will need some log files to investigate your problem.
Could you send me them as described in this thread ?
Thanks.
Birdy