Synchronisation with Thunderbird Portable on two computers

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
Flix42

Synchronisation with Thunderbird Portable on two computers

Post by Flix42 »

Hi!
I'm running Thunderbird Portable from my USB stick basically on two computers (home and work) and would like to synchronize my mobile (htc TouchHD, WinMobile 6.1) on both PCs (WinXP). The PCs are both in the same domain, so not only are the files I want to synchronize the same (each time the ones on the USB stick), but also the Windows-user is the same, or even the whole WindowsXP is the same (which is the point in being logged into a domain).
For some reason BirdieSync does not recognize the domain AND the fact that it is Thunderbird Portable and hence the exact same files to be synchronized no matter what PC the mobile is connected to.
Do I really have to create two partnerships for each PC or can I somehow configure BirdieSync so it realizes that it's the same files all along?

Thanks for your help!

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Synchronisation with Thunderbird Portable on two computers

Post by Birdy »

Hello Flix42,

File synchronization is managed by ActiveSync, not BirdieSync.

I think that this problem is roughly the same as the one described in this FAQ topic except that you speak about files and not about web calendars.
Even if the files are identical (since there are shared by the 2 computers on a domain server), I suppose ActiveSync doesn't recognize it. The 2 partnerships are independant. The only workaround I see by now is to synchronize your files on the USB stick only on one computer.
Birdy

Flix42

Re: Synchronisation with Thunderbird Portable on two computers

Post by Flix42 »

Thank you Birdy,
I was beginning to think that it couldn't be a BirdieSync problem and I'm not surprised that ActiveSnyc is actually causing this (why on earth is M$ not able to write their own software in the way it is supposed to? Domains are a nice thing but if another sync-tool doesn't know how to deal with them it doesn't make any sense in the first place).
The workaround with only syncing on one computer is not ideal but propably the easiest and best way to go.