Postbox compatibility

If you dream about having BirdieSync casting your horoscope, this is the place to ask for it...
Aesculapius

Postbox compatibility

Post by Aesculapius »

Hi Birdie,

Recently, I got interested in looking into other mail applications that would give me more user experience than just Thunderbird with all its extensions. Thunderbird still is a great product, but using it over time got me irritated by a few quircks and misbehaviors which I just expected to work in a business app.

One of the other products which is really coming rapidly and is improving with huge leaps, is Postbox. It's based on mozilla thunderbird's code, but adds a few neat tricks to make the whole e-mail and PIM experience a bit richer.

Since the last bèta (13) it also supports extensions and since the upcoming bèta 14, the lightning calendar can be successfully integrated.

I was wondering if it'd be possible for you to make the birdiesync addon compatible with this great piece of software? At their extension page (http://postbox-inc.com/extensions) the folks of postbox call for addon-writers to contact them for compatibility. From what I've heard, making it compatible is fearly easy and overall I found the PB guys very kind and open to suggestions.

I'm curious about your thoughts....
Last edited by Aesculapius on Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aesculapius

Re: Postbox compatibility

Post by Aesculapius »

any idea birdie?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello Aesculapius,

It may be possible. Some study needs to be done. But the next version of BirdieSync needs to be released first. :wink:
Birdy

Aesculapius

Post by Aesculapius »

That's very good news birdie! The postbox community seems to be growing quite fast!

For now I'll be switching to sunbird only and face the fact that I won't be able to sync contacts (calendar is more important to me), but hopefully in the near future I can use your wonderfull program in combi with postbox....would really make it a killer combi.

Should you need any help porting the addon to postbox, I've found the guys behind it very willing to help with any matters regarding their product, quote:
If you are an add-on author and would like to make your add-on compatible, please contact us at addons@postbox-inc.com and we'll be happy to help!
Any eta on the next version?

Aesculapius

Post by Aesculapius »

Hi Birdie,

Now that version 2 of your plugin has been released, is there any chance on support for Postbox? As that is based on TB3 code, I assume it shouldn't have to be that much a problem? It would really make a huge difference in usability! More than willing to pay for a new version if I could upgrade...

bsfan

Post by bsfan »

Hi Birdy,

Now that Mozilla has decided to stop Thunderbird feature updates and focusing on other projects instead, are there plans to make BirdieSync compatible with PostBox or other e-mail clients ?

Thanks,

webinfo123

Post by webinfo123 »

I also would like compatibility with postbox because Mozilla stops developing Thunderbird and I don't want to use the Gmail-route for synchronization.

ArpO

Post by ArpO »

any news for Postbox users?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello ArpO,

A next version of BirdieSync should easy the integration of another software like PostBox. It should be a step in the right direction. But I cannot tell you when the compatibility with PostBox would be available...
Birdy

fabiomayo

Post by fabiomayo »

I registered precisely for this reason. BirdieSync is such a wonderful software and I'd hate to let it go. In fact, I still have not moved on to PostBox because of BirdieSync. It would be a great addition. (I'd even buy the software again). :D