Sync to a NAS

If you dream about having BirdieSync casting your horoscope, this is the place to ask for it...
zabo

Sync to a NAS

Post by zabo »

Hi,
I'm evaluating to register birdiesync.
I would like to know if there is a way (or if it is under consideration for development) to sync to a NAS (Synology in my case) in order to connect to the NAS and sync a mobile phone or other computers via a remote connection over the internet.

Thanks
Arnaldo

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Sync to a NAS

Post by Birdy »

Hello Arnaldo,

An IP connection between the mobile device and the desktop may be provided in the future. But could you detail what you want to do exactly with the NAS ? Is it connected to a desktop computer which runs Thunderbird/Sunbird like an external drive ? Is Thunderbird/Sunbird profile located on this NAS ?
Thanks.
Birdy

zabo

Post by zabo »

Hi and thank you for answering,
I'll try to explain better.

I have a Synology DS attached to my lan. I leave it always on and it's accessible over the wan via ddns.
I run a personal web page on it and I often use remote access to my NAS files from the office.
I was looking into a way to sync my primary computer running Thunderbird/Sunbird not only with my smartphone at home, task which birdiesync seems to do very well (though only via a physical connection for now), but also with my other home and office devices.
So not only a local private IP connection, but also a public IP connection and not directly to the desktop (which can be off) but through a bridge on a server...

I don't want to leave my info on web networks such as Soocial, Mobical, ScheduleWorld, etc...
I've looked into the funambol world but nobody seems interested in optimizing and packaging a funambol server for the Synology NAS. Should not be too complicated, but I'm no unix expert.
It seems funambol would exactly do what I was looking for: storing a copy of latest data on the NAS server and syncing it on demand with authorized clients...

I was thinking if birdiesync could be used for the same purpose, syncing Thunderbird/Sunbird from the primary computer to a file/application on the NAS, and then syncing all the other devices remotely accessing that file/application...

imho this could be an interesting feature for many people, since the NAS world is continuously growing.

Thank you for your time
Arnaldo

zabo

Post by zabo »

I registered anyway.

Hope some of what I wrote regarding NAS use makes sense to you.

bye
Arnaldo

edited to add: maybe is better to move this topic to wishes

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Thanks a lot for having registered ! :wink: Based on your detailed description, I think I see better what you want. Compared to the current version it would require some architecture changes since the data would need to be stored on the server and an adaptation to Linux. And I guess some customization for the NAS itself. So I think it represents a high amount of work and will depend on how BirdieSync evolves in the future. As you mentioned, I think it will be better to move this topic to "wishes".
Birdy

mrsocks

Post by mrsocks »

I like this idea.
I have been looking at the new Android based phones, but refuse to store my data outside of my control.
If i can sync to my NAS, that would be perfect.

either this or some sort of local Android Sync would be great to have!!

thanks.

hcgirard

Post by hcgirard »

I to would love to sync with a Synology NAS.

Spider

Post by Spider »

I think you want birdie to have a option to sync with a carddav and calldav server
Would be nice

hcgirard

Post by hcgirard »

I've just looked at the Synology carddav server. While that's the right concept, the Synology implementation seems really limited. It's certainly doesn't begin to cover off the Thunderbird address book or even Android contacts. No groups would kill it for me.

servantoftheking

Post by servantoftheking »

Maybe there is a different way to realize what you want.

I solved it for me by using an owncloud/nextcloud instance on my server. So I sync my calender, adressbooks, tasks and all files I like to every device I need.
Actually I´m running two clouds on two different servers (bussines and private) and sync in different combinations with 3 desktop, 5 laptop (Linux and Win 10) and 2 android smartphones.

Everything works fine.

You can use BirdieSync for the Smartphones directliy syncing with one of your Thunderbird Instances on one of the computers.

If there are questions feel free to ask