Feature Request: Maintain database during version upgrade

If you dream about having BirdieSync casting your horoscope, this is the place to ask for it...
FilmTraveler

Feature Request: Maintain database during version upgrade

Post by FilmTraveler »

I have very few complaints with BirdieSync and think it was a great purchase.

I do have ONE problem, however, and it is quite a large one. It is very important to me to be able to maintain my phone contacts during a BirdieSync version upgrade. Right now, every single time Thunderbird releases an update, I have to uninstall BirdieSync, delete all the contacts from my phone, reinstall it, and sync from desktop to phone. This is a very big problem, because I LOSE all the contact customizations on my phone!

I lose:
  • All my speed dials
  • All my custom per-contact ring tones
  • All the Links I've set for my contacts
  • All the Facebook synchronization that HTC has done via its HTC Sense
It seems like it actually wouldn't be that hard to simply maintain the existing contacts/synchronization database when upgrading to a new BirdieSync (except of course in rare cases where a whole new engine has been put in place or other huge changes have been made to either Thunderbird or BirdeSync--like the time you guys switched to a special BirdieSync address book, and then back again). The way it works now is the only part of this otherwise very good program where it is genuinely bad, bad software design. Please do fix this and a lot of us will be very grateful and recommend it more highly to others.

Thank you!

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request: Maintain database during version upgrad

Post by Birdy »

Hello FilmTraveler,
every single time Thunderbird releases an update, I have to uninstall BirdieSync, delete all the contacts from my phone
Why do you have to delete all your contacts ? When you upgrade BirdieSync, as long as you don't uninstall BirdieSync on the Android device (simply do an update if necessary) and keep BirdieSync synchronization information when uninstalling BirdieSync on the desktop (there is an option for this at the end of the uninstaller), you don't have to remove your contacts or events on the Android device. And when internal changes are performed in BirdieSync, usually best efforts are made in the upgrade process so that it is transparent to the user to avoid having to synchronize again. So could you give more information on why you the contacts were deleted during the upgrade process ?
Thanks.
Birdy

FilmTraveler

Post by FilmTraveler »

I was mistaken. My contacts are being preserved now during version upgrades. I followed the upgrade instructions in the Support FAQ and there were no problems.

A few months ago, during a couple of upgrades, I had a problem, and I incorrectly assumed the problem still existed. At that time, when I upgraded to a new BirdieSync version, the first synchronization resulted in duplicates being created on both the phone and the computer. This happened on two separate upgrades, so I thought it was a permanent problem with the software, but I guess it was either specific to those earlier versions, or some error on my end. In order to avoid all the duplicates, I had to delete all contacts from my phone and synchronize one-way.

So you can ignore this feature request, as obviously I experienced a glitch earlier that has been fixed. I have a couple of other feature requests, but I'll make them separately. Thank you!

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Thank you for the update. Maybe the problem you had were present when BirdieSync evolved regarding the use or not of the BirdieSync account to store contacts (which finally was no longer used).
If you have other feature requests, feel free to post other threads. Even if these topics are not immediately answered, it doesn't mean that these features will not be implemented in the future and your suggestions are very welcome. :)
Birdy