Summertime problem

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
cluni

Summertime problem

Post by cluni »

Hi,

I have installed the actual versions of Thunderbird (v3.0.3), Lightning (v1.0b1) and BirdieSync (v2.0.1.1). Now I have the following problem: e.g. I want to add a new appointment on March, 30. After sync I get a time difference of 1h between desktop and mobile phone (e.g. time for appointment on mobile phone 3:00pm - time on desktop 4:00pm). If I add the same appointment on March, 27. I don't have this problem...

This should be a problem with switching to summertime I think, isn't it?! The timezones on the mobile phone and on the desktop (also in Thunderbird) are all set to Berlin (GMT+01:00). Where is the problem? Is it somewhere in my settings or is it a bug in BirdieSync or somewhere else?

Best regards, Cluni

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Summertime problem

Post by Birdy »

Hello Cluni,

Time zones shouldn't be a problem as long as they have the same definition on both the mobile device and Lightning.
Could you tell me which mobile device you have ? Which operating system ? (Windows mobile 2003,...6.5)
Do you have the same problem if you create this event one month later ?
Thanks.
Birdy

cluni

Post by cluni »

Hi Birdy,

I recognised the problem when I created an event on April 12th and synchronized it. In the case I create the event on March 12th the problem is gone. I definitely have the same time zones on the device and the PC (also directly in Thunderbird). At the moment I can't do an other try because I only synchronize on an other PC. If you like to do a special test I could do it tomorrow.

It also doesn't matter if I create the event on the mobile or in Thunderbird. On both tries I get the time difference...

Best regards, Cluni

cluni

Post by cluni »

I'm sorry - I have forgotten to tell you some things:

HTC Touch Diamond with WM6.1
I tried also to create an event on May 18th - same problem... :(

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

I made some tests again but still could not reproduce your problem:
- Time zones set to GMT+1 Berlin in Lightning, Windows and the mobile device
- Creation of a not recurring event on the 30th of March and 12th of April: there were synchronized with the correct times

After having disconnect your mobile device, could you please change your time zone on the mobile device to a different one (not a GMT+1). For instance, GMT+8. Then go back to GMT+1 Berlin. Reconnect your mobile device and do the tests again. Do you have the same problem ?
Thanks.
Birdy

cluni

Post by cluni »

So, now I tried this:

- creation of a event at 1:00pm on 6th of April on Thunderbird
- synchronization... ==> -1h time difference on the mobile
- change of time zone on the mobile to Dubai and then back to Berlin ==> time difference is gone (so it seems to be a problem of the phone)

It seems that the problem happens only sometimes. Now I can see in the (HTC-)calendar on the mobile for a second the time difference while synchronization and then it is correct. But sometimes not. I think it is a problem of the ROM I use on my Touch diamond (Blizzard with Sense 2.1). As soon as possible I will try an other image...

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards, Cluni

Slobadon

Post by Slobadon »

Hi

I have the same problem just noticed today when the clocks went forward. Running WM6.1 on HTC Hermes. Time on phone is set to GMT London, Thunderbird is Europe/London, computer is GMT London, Automatically adjust for daylight savings and internet time sync. Tried setting different time zones on all 3 and turned off daylight savings on computer, no joy.

Seems to just occur with recurrent events.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello Slobadon,

I made some tests with London time zone but I'm still not able to reproduce this problem.
Do you have a step by step scenario that I could try to reproduce ?

How was created this recurring event ? Manually ? With another software ?
Are you sure that when you created it, all the time zones were set to London ?

If now you create a new recurring event on your mobile device and synchronize it, do you still have the same problem ? (could you describe it precisely in term of date/times)
Before creating this new event, could you try to switch to GMT+8 on the mobile device and then go back to London ?

Note also that if you modify Lightning time zone, you must RESTART Thunderbird in order to have the correct times displayed in daily/weekly/montly views.

Thanks.
Birdy

Slobadon

Post by Slobadon »

Hi Birdie

Events were created in Thunder in January and recur until May. They were all created in London time zone. They are then hosted on icalx and synced with multiple Thunderbirds on different operating systems.

I tried creating a new recurring appointment that spans the daylight savings change but it appeared ok. I have tried setting different timezones as you suggest and have restarted Thunderbird in between changes. I assume its a problem with the events themselves rather than with Birdiesync. When I edit a single instance of an event, changing it to a single instance, it shows at the right time.

Thanks

techiegeek

Post by techiegeek »

I'm experiencing a similar problem. I have recurring events and when the clocks automatically changed on my phone the times have all changed, so I thought I'd sync it to correct the error but I remember this is what happened last time I synched it as well. Now the times on the desktop have changed as well. Is this birdiesync or is it windows mobile?

Sony Ericsson X1 with windows mobile 6.1 using Thunderbird 3.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello techiegeek,

Could you give me a precise example of recurring event (start/end dates, time zone if any, recurrence rule) so that I try to reproduce your problem ?
Also, what are the time zones (exact names) on your mobile device, Lightning/Sunbird and Windows ?
Thanks.
Birdy

kira13

Post by kira13 »

techiegeek,

I had the same problem as you (and the same phone!). I noticed the problem before synching with Thunderbird and assumed it was a Windows Mobile problem, but to rule out the possibility it was an Xperia X1 problem, I asked my husband to check his recurring appointments too--he has an AT&T Tilt (upgraded to Windows Mobile 6.1, so same OS as my X1). He also had changed appointments. We both noticed that *only* the recurring appointments occurring *after* the time change were shifted (and also, non-recurring appointments we made before the time change but that happened after it), and that editing the recurrence showed that the underlying appointment still had the original time.

I hope that helps your troubleshooting.

Kira

edit: I forgot to mention that my husband syncs his Tilt with Outlook and WMDC, and has never used BirdieSync.

techiegeek

Post by techiegeek »

Confirmed that mine is indeed a problem with the phone, not birdiesync, I've been able to confirm this and discovered another problem at the same time!