How to add an addressbook

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
tobomda

How to add an addressbook

Post by tobomda »

Hello, I'm a new user and very surprised about the functionality of Birdiesync. Have tried other programs, but this makes the best impression.
Only littlle things are left for me...
I have a Touch Diamond 2 with Energy Windows Mobile 6.5.5 ROM from xda developers with newest Sense.
I had created the addressbooks in TB for on the mobile existing catagories. But forgot creating the category "HTC Favorite". At first synchronisation all contacts are synced to TB. All addressbooks are set to "Two way" synchronisation.
For testing I have modified 2 contacts in TB that are on the mobile also on the Sense favorite tab. After syncing these contacts are deleted from the favorite tab. In this moment I remember this problem from another sync tool and the solution was to sync the category "HTC Favorite" that Sense uses for the favorite tab also.
So I added an addressbook "HTC Favorite" in TB and checked it in Birdiesync oprions for two way synchronisation.
But Birdisync seems not to recognise this new addressbook. Is there a way to get Birdiesync to sync this addressbook also without reset the complete settings ?

UPDATE: It is not a problem adding addressbook. On my home PC I had created the addressbook "HTC Favorite" before first sync and it is not filled with contacts. I think I know why. On mobile device the contacts have two categories if they are on the favorite tab, the normal category that corresponds with the addressbook in TB and second the "HTC Favorite". And this is ignored.

Is there a way to prevent deleting favorite entries on mobile device, if a contact is changed in TB (the next thread about HD2 not gives the answer) ?

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: How to add an addressbook

Post by Birdy »

Hello tobomda,

I don't know how HTC manages its "favorite" contacts. But let's take the assumption that it adds the category "HTC Favorite" to the favorite contacts to identify them. In this case, the goal is that this category is always preserved on the mobile device.

If you didn't check "Link address book to contact category" in BirdieSync options:
All the categories of the mobile device contact will be synchronized in the Category field of the Thunderbird contact, separated with commas. This is the simplest case since it should preserve the "HTC Favorite" category.

If you checked "Link address book to contact category" in BirdieSync options:
The category of the contact will be replaced with the address book name where the Thunderbird contact is stored. Note that it also means that only a UNIQUE category should be stored in the mobile device contact (the address book name). In this case, it means that you have to create an address book called "HTC Favorite" so that when you add a contact to the favorites, it is moved in this address book.
Note also that you should not use other categories for this mobile device contact. Because if you do, your mobile device contact could be synchronized in a different address book (whose name matches a category different from "HTC Favorite") since only the first category whose name matches a synchronized calendar is taken into account. The other categories are ignored.

Does it help ?
Birdy

tobomda

Post by tobomda »

I have different addressbooks: "AdrPrivat", AdrDienst" and others. To synchronize these correct I understood that I have to check "Link address book to contact category", or isn't it so ? If I use only one addressbook, how I see the categories in TB ?
Some of the contacts from different addressbooks are favorite. So have categories in the form "AdrPrivat,HTC Favorite".
Because of this I had created an addressbook "HTC Favorite" an TB, but Birdiesync doesn't sync entries in this addressbook. I think because of the mixed category. I do not want to create extra contact entries that have only the "HTC favorite" category, then I don't see them in the normal addressbook and i do not want to have them doubled.
May be another thing is useable ? HTC Sense writes in the Notes field the following:
<Favorite>actionid:CallMobile</Favorite>
(if the mobile number is used for tap on it). Detection of <Favorite> is enough to find it I think. But then it must be written to the mobile device with "AdrPrivat,HTC Favorite" in this example.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello,

If you synchronize with several address books, it is generally recommended to use the option "Link address book to contact category". If you don't use this option, it means that a contact newly created on the mobile device will always be synchronized in the "Default" address book. There will be no way to automatically synchronize it in a different address book. This option simply tries to solve the problem that there is only one address book on the mobile device and several ones in Thunderbird.
If I use only one addressbook, how I see the categories in TB ?
If you want to access to additional fields in the address book (birthday, anniversary, category, spouse), you an install an extension: MoreFunctionsForAddressBook

By now, the constraint seems to be that if the option "Link address book to contact category" is checked, then the contacts listed as favorites should only have the "HTC favorite" category and be synchronized in the "HTC favorite" address book.
It will be necessary to investigate to see if it's possible to improve this.
Birdy

tobomda

Post by tobomda »

OK, I think it's a problem with low priority, because modification on favorite contacts happens not so often.
And adding then contact again to the favorite list is not so complicated.