TB 3.1 PortableApps not recognized by BS 2.0.2.0

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
aietes

TB 3.1 PortableApps not recognized by BS 2.0.2.0

Post by aietes »

Hi,

I am using BS successfully for almost 3 years now. I like it so much, but now I run in a problem, I haven't found here in the forum so far:

I use Windows 7, ThunderbirdPortable 3.1 with the PortableApps Suite 1.6.1.0 and Lightning 1.0b2 and BirdieSync 2.0.2.0. The removable Disk always mounts with the same letter "Y" to Windows. My mobile phone is properly recognized by Windows.

I can open the BirdieSync Options in ThunderbirdPortable. In "Thunderbird profile" clicking "Use current Thunderbird comes to no result. Setting the path manually brings up the following error, when syncronizing:

"Thunderbird executable not found (...)"

As I can read in the error message, BS is looking in the correct path but expects "thunderbird.exe". Though the correct name is "ThunderbirdPortable.exe".

If I rename "ThunderbirdPortable.exe" to "thunderbird.exe", it won't run anymore with PortableApps Suite (TB is automatically starting, when the disk is plugged in to the system.)

Result: No single sync! :(

Any ideas to solve this problem?
Thanks for your help in advance!

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: TB 3.1 PortableApps not recognized by BS 2.0.2.0

Post by Birdy »

Hello aietes,

Glad to hear that you like BirdieSync ! :wink: Could you tell me more about the removable disk where Thunderbird is installed ? How is it mounted on your system ? Is it considered as a normal hard disk ? Is it on a network ? Do you haver a NTFS junction or a hard link in Thunderbird path ?

Regarding the name of the executable, you shouldn't have to rename anything. By now BirdieSync still runs "thunderbird.exe" and not "ThunderbirdPortable.exe". I think the problem is more with the path itself. BirdieSync seems to have a problem with it.
Birdy

aietes

Post by aietes »

Hello Birdy,

thanks for your fast reply! Yes your program is essential, when using TB and a windows mobile phone! The user interface and the installing assistance since version 2 is also much better than before! :)

Back to my problem: I tried any kind of paths with "/" and "\" with "Y:" and without, but was not successful so far. Here the details:
BirdieSync Options:

Thunderbird profile
Storage device: Drive defined in path
Y:\PortableApps\ThunderbirdPortable\Data\profile

Thunderbird directory:
\PortableApps\ThunderbirdPortable

My volume is a NTFS formatted external harddisk (2,5"), which I plug in via USB. It is always mounted with the letter "Y" to Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. The volume's name (not mentioned in BS options as you can see) is "Y-GUENTER20". So no special characters, even no spaces in the whole path.
My TB Plugins and Add-ons are not many, but some: Dictionaries, Google, Java ...

Do you want me to send some screenshots of the error message and so on?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

I think "/" or "\" should not matter.
If you chose "Drive defined in path", then in your case the path entered for the Thunderbird application should be:
Y:\PortableApps\ThunderbirdPortable\App\Thunderbird
But this path should be set automatically when your press the "Use current Thunderbird" button.

Note also that your drive should be listed in the "storage device" list menu (it shouldn't have been necessary to choose the option "Drive defined in path").

After you pressed this button, and saved again the preferences by pressing the "OK" button, could you send your logs with the Thunderbird menu "Tools/BirdieSync/Archive logs..." to support(at)birdiesync.com ?
Thanks.
Birdy

aietes

Post by aietes »

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Hello Birdy,

while I am writing this, BS is syncing my mobile phone in the background! :)

Something silly happened: After trying all these software things, I focussed on the hardware. My new USB connector cable is broken! When I tried another cable, everything started to work smoothly. Telephone and cable, everything is completely new (2 days old), so I did not think of such a failure.

I feel sorry: Not your "fault"!

But maybe this is still interesting for others, when they run in this problem. BS did not recognize TB path, when I clicked BirdieSync Options/Thunderbird profile/Storage device: Drive defined in path. Since I used my old USB cable with my new mobile, BS immediately recognized TB's path. Windows then also showed me, that it installed a new USB device driver for the phone and then the sync with BS started automatically.

Another strange thing: With the broken cable, Windows was still able to connect to the mobile phone and I could upload and download files between PC and phone! Don't ask me how this can happen, I don't know... :?

Thank you very much for your fast help!

I am soooo happy that my BS is working again! :D