Random deletions on Android

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
robb

Random deletions on Android

Post by robb »

I love BirdieSync. But occasionally when I synchronise my handset, BirdieSync will tell me that it needs to delete, say, 10 contacts or 40 events from the handset because I've deleted them from the desktop. However, I know that I haven't - so I have to reset synchronisation to ensure that it's carried out correctly.
Handset: HTC Sensation, Android 2.3
Desktop: Windows XP SP3

Stephen_C

Re: Random deletions on Android

Post by Stephen_C »

I know it doesn't help to say "it doesn't happen to me" but wondered whether you'd tried the latest beta version of BirdieSync, which deals with contacts in a slightly different way. My phone is an HTC Desire (not yet on Android 2.3) and I'm running Windows 7, so there may be material differences anyway. I'm sure Birdy will be along to help but thought this idea might be useful.

Stephen

robb

Post by robb »

Despite resetting synchronisation for contacts, it seemed that at least on of my contacts has "gone wrong". Just got a text from them, and my conversation with them showed their number instead of their name (even though they were still in my address book, with that number!) However, this looks less like a BirdieSync issue.

A second synchronisation minutes later, to try to sort this out, suggested that I had 23 events to delete - when I'd made no changes to my calendar! But BirdieSync failed to complete this synchronisation anyway. While the handset showed that it was still trying to synchronise events and the desktop showed the Connected icon, the desktop also said "No mobile device connected" and showed a grey progress bar...

Now resetting synchronisation for events too. (And with contacts already synchronised, it doesn't look like that has resolved my lost contact name issue...)

robb

Post by robb »

Stephen_C wrote:wondered whether you'd tried the latest beta version of BirdieSync, which deals with contacts in a slightly different way.
Thanks Stephen. I haven't tried that. Maybe I'll give it a whirl. (Although this happens to events as well as contacts...)

Stephen_C

Post by Stephen_C »

I think I'm going to duck out of this - don't have the requisite expertise to guess what's going on, sorry! The only suggestion I have is to try the beta, but that's not going to help if the problem isn't with BS, of course.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Stephen

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

@robb:

Which version of BirdieSync do you use ? Is it 2.3.2.2 ?

Regarding the deletions of events, did you set a synchronization period in BirdieSync event options ? Because if you chose to synchronize only the last 2 weeks for instance, that may explain why some events would be deleted on the mobile device even if you didn't modify your events on the desktop.

It's a different matter for contacts. I'm not aware of a problem that could make them be considered as deleted if they are not. Do you have this problem right after you reconnect your mobile device ?
Would you use another synchronizing tool that could have deleted some contacts and replaced them with new instances ? (even if they seem to remain identical)

Regarding the connection problem, maybe BirdieSync part on the mobile device didn't properly detect the disconnection.

Regarding the name which is not displayed for you text messages, I would need to see how Android associates the name with the phone number. Do you have this problem with all your contacts or only one of them ? If only one of them, did you identify something different compared to the other contacts ?

Thanks.
Birdy

robb

Post by robb »

Hi Birdy,

Thanks for the reply.
Birdy wrote:Which version of BirdieSync do you use ? Is it 2.3.2.2 ?
Yes it is. (And Thunderbird 3.1.10 with Lightning 1.0b2.)
Birdy wrote:Regarding the deletions of events, did you set a synchronization period in BirdieSync event options ?
No, it's set to "Unlimited".
Birdy wrote:It's a different matter for contacts. I'm not aware of a problem that could make them be considered as deleted if they are not. Do you have this problem right after you reconnect your mobile device ?
Yes. (But not every time.)
Birdy wrote:Would you use another synchronizing tool that could have deleted some contacts and replaced them with new instances ? (even if they seem to remain identical)
No, I don't use any other synchronising tool. (Nor do I synchronise my desktop calendar with any other devices or calendars.)
Birdy wrote:Regarding the name which is not displayed for you text messages, I would need to see how Android associates the name with the phone number. Do you have this problem with all your contacts or only one of them ? If only one of them, did you identify something different compared to the other contacts ?
It was only with some contacts. I can't see anything that would make them different. But this particular issue seems to have sorted itself out now.

However, it would be good to be able to avoid full resynchronisation (as it takes ages...)

Cheers,

Robb