Thunderbird 5.0 and 2.3.4.0 beta - good news

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
Stephen_C

Thunderbird 5.0 and 2.3.4.0 beta - good news

Post by Stephen_C »

Many thanks, Birdy, for the 2.3.4.0 beta. I've downloaded it and synchronised Android contacts and events with Thunderbird 5.0/Lightning 1.0b4 with no problems (once I also remembered to update the Thunderbird add on as well as the Android app!).

Stephen

antenno

Re: Thunderbird 5.0 and 2.3.4.0 beta - good news

Post by antenno »

Hi Birdy,

I also tried it and it works fine for my contacts. Just the birthdays are displayed as some Integer in my Android phone and are therefore not really human readable. But that existed as well in the version before.

I have a new issue with calendar sync where a remote calendar is involved. With the last version it worked fine, now I've got the error message "A event calendar was not properly loaded". The detail message is "The event calendar "xxx" selected for synchronization was not properly loaded. Please check that this calendar is properly loaded. You may also try to restart Thunderbird or Sunbird."

I reloaded the remote calendar and I also tried restarts of Thunderbird and BirdieSync. Unfortunately the problem persists. The calendar is properly displayed in Thunderbird.

Thanks!
antenno

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello Stephen_C & antenno,

Thanks a lot for your feedback !

@antenno: Could you please send the logs to support(at)birdiesync.com ? (Thunderbird menu Tools/BirdieSync/Archive logs...")
Could you also mention the birthday date and the associated number which is displayed instead of the real date ?
When you say you had the problem in previous version. Did you mean 2.3.2.2 ?
Thanks.
Birdy

TheBoegl

Post by TheBoegl »

Hey Birdy,
I got an PocketPC5.0 installation error: "impossible to create birdiewatch shortcut"
I've restarted my wm6.5 phone and failed again with the same installation error.
Edit: Tested it for beta-b and beta version

Hopefully you'll find a solution for this problem ;)

Thanks
TheBoegl

gbird

Post by gbird »

Well, I installed Birdiesyn 2.3.4.0, everthing synct, but when I try to edit a contact on my android fone with htc/google concats (sorry, don't like syle of "Edit BirdieSync contact"), the google concats will remain black, nothing to edit. This is an differen behavoir like 2.3.3.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

After analysis with Anselmo, the error "A event calendar was not properly loaded" was linked to the fact that the calendar had caching enabled. Unchecking caching and selecting again the calendar again in BirdieSync event options solved the problem.

@TheBoegl:

I don't think that the error is especially related to the beta. Could you try to manually uninstall BirdieSync on the mobile device ? Could you then check that the folder where BirdieSync was installed (something like \Program Files\BirdieSync) is empty or no longer exist ? If not, could you delete the remaining files ? Then reinstall BirdieSync.

@gbird:

The problem is that unfortunately when you use another account for contacts like BirdieSync account or Facebook account, it is no longer possible to use the classical Android contact application to create or edit a contact because Android doesn't allow it. As you can imagine developers are not really happy about it and complained to Google about it since developing a new interface takes time and duplicates something which already exists... The position of Google at the moment is that the contact fields could be different for these other accounts and that they don't want to guarantee that their contact application would support them. I personally think that developers should be given the choice to use the Android contact application to create and edit a contact or to develop new screens but this is not the case today. Maybe it will evolve on the future but it will depend on Google...
So if you have remarks on how to improve the current BirdieSync interface to create or edit contact, please fill free to do it.
Birdy

TheBoegl

Post by TheBoegl »

I got it working. I did all the steps you said before posting the last time.
Today I deleted the \Windows\AutoStart\birdiesync shortcut and the installation went on smooth.
Seems to me like the uninstall script didn't delete that file.
TheBoegl

gbird

Post by gbird »

@Birdy: Well, it's ok, you did a great work with BirdieSync, especially with adapting it to TB5 and Android. Let me check out the actual version and see.

knomic

Post by knomic »

@birdie:

Very strange behaviour:
I cannot edit contact, when they are linked with a facebook profil. But when I take the way over adding a "fake"-number from the calling list to the same contact, i can edit everything in this linked contact. Maybe a quick and dirty walk-around, but it works :)!

otraver

Post by otraver »

Hello,
Firstly excuse me for my bad english.
I use birdiesync+thunderbird from my first qtek S100 PPC pda.
The past 3 years I used it with my HTC Diamond PPC.
The past month I updated to v5 thunderbird and downloaded the 2.3.4.0 beta birdiesync and the past week I buyed one HTC Sensation with android 2.3.3.
I got update contacts and events between PC and cellular but I have a little problem.
When I create an event in Thunderbird it is correctly synchronized and I can see it in the google and android calendar.
Even if I modify the event in google or android calendar changes can be viewed in thunderbird + lighting.
But if the event is to created in the cellular or google calendar sync with thunderbird is not possible and I can't see it.

Best regards

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello otraver,
When I create an event in Thunderbird it is correctly synchronized and I can see it in the google and android calendar.
When you say synchronized, do you mean between Thunderbird and the remote Google calendar on the web with the Google calendar provider add-on, and between the Android device and the remote Google calendar on the web ? (which means without using BirdieSync)
Even if I modify the event in google or android calendar changes can be viewed in thunderbird + lighting.
Again, BirdieSync is not involved ?
But if the event is to created in the cellular or google calendar sync with thunderbird is not possible and I can't see it.
Do you mean that if you create (not modify) a new Google event on your Android device, or in your remote Google web calendar, it is not then displayed in Thunderbird (with the use of the Google calendar provider add-on) ? Should BirdieSync be involved ?
Thanks.
Birdy

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

A new beta version of BirdieSync has been released which no longer uses BirdieSync account to synchronize your contacts. So you should now be able to use the stock contact application again to manage your contacts.
For more flexibility and to still address some problems with some specific Android devices, you can now choose the accounts you wish to synchronize (Phone, Google, BirdieSync, etc.).

The beta version is available for Thunderbird 5.0:
http://www.birdiesync.com/forum/viewtop ... f=1&t=1514

And for Thunderbird 3.1:
http://www.birdiesync.com/forum/viewtop ... f=1&t=1534

Please quickly report any problem you have with this new version or comment you have. Don't wait for the official release to do it !
The release cycle is intended to be short.
Post the version of Android you use and the model of your Android device.

Thanks.
Birdy

Simon_Warner

Post by Simon_Warner »

Just a quick note to report 2.3.4.0betad works fine on my HTC Touch Cruise with windows mobile & laptop with Vista and Thunderbird 5.0. I have the feeling it is more stable than in the past. Thanks!

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello Simon,

Thanks a lot for the feedback ! If other users have similar or other feedbacks, please feel free to post.
Birdy