Sync problem with V2.3.4.0

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
Stef

Re: Sync problem with V2.3.4.0

Post by Stef »

Great job, Birdy! ;-)
The problem is IMHO how to distinguish contact groups from different accounts.
The contact apps show only the group name and if you duplicate the groups for each account you have double (identically) group names.
Or am I wrong?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

It would depend on the contact application. For instance I think that from a user point of view, the HTC contact application "merges" the groups with an identical name. So the contact application choose the right group according to the contact. But in the Go Contact application, you get 2 groups and no way to distinguish them...

I'm not sure it's a good idea for BirdieSync to synchronize a contact and place it in a group which belongs to a different account. The cleanest way would be to always store a contact in a group belonging to the same account.
During the synchronization, it may also be possible to return a precise error message mentioning that a contact on the device belongs to a group of an incorrect account and advising to move this contact to a group of the same account. Or it may be possible to synchronize it but it would lead to contacts in the correct group (assigned by BirdieSync) and contacts still in the incorrect group (assigned by the user) and introduce more confusion (why contacts are split in 2 groups).
As you can see the notion of accounts introduced by Google is powerful but can become confusing...
Birdy

MorganHill

Post by MorganHill »

Birdy wrote:Hello MorganHill,

> Same message as described above
Which one exactly ?
Could you give more details about what you did ? Did you remove BirdieSync account as Stef did ? (don't do it if you haven't done it)
Thanks.
I've been unable to perform an initial sync. The message contains three directives as a way to reconcile the situation. The droid icon within the Birdie application displays in the "Disconnected" mode. I am running Thunderbird 5 on Windows 7.

Impossible to connect to host XXXX

Check the desktop address. Yes.
Check that BirdieSync is running on the desktop. Yes
Check that firewall. Done Birdie Sync has full access rights.

Stef

Post by Stef »

Hello MorganHill,
I had the same problem.
For me the solution was to diconnect correctly the (previous) sync connection (both on my smartphone and on my PC).
You wrote already that you made a re-boot. Did you reboot both the PC and the smartphone?
Stef

MorganHill

Post by MorganHill »

I believe i only rebooted the PC. I will reboot both and see if that fixes the problem. Thanks for the tip.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

@MorganHill:

Do you connect with a Wi-Fi connection or a cellular (3G) connection ?
If it's a Wi-Fi connection, check that the IP address is local, if it's a 3G connection, check that it's a WLAN address accessible from everywhere on the Internet.
To ensure that it's not a problem with the firewall, temporarily disable it.
Birdy

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

@Stef:

Version 2.3.4.1 has just been released. A more explicit error message is now displayed if a contact belongs to a group whose account is different from the contact one. That may help the user to fix the problem instead of having to delete the contact.
Birdy

Stef

Post by Stef »

Hi Birdy,
Great! Thank you!
Stef

Stef

Post by Stef »

But one thing I'm still missing:
It should never occur that there is no BirdieSync account for events just after (re-)installation of BirdieSync for Android.
For that was the case for me. As I said the BirdieSync account was only created after updating of other apps from Android Market. I don't know what the specific reason was for that behaviour.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

By now, I don't know either how it happened. If you uninstall BirdieSync and reinstall it, BirdieSync account should be created again. I couldn't reproduce the problem. After BirdieSync was uninstalled and reinstalled, the account was properly created again and accessible in event account settings. And a simple update of BirdieSync application should not delete BirdieSync account.
I also don't see why updating of other apps from Android Market made BirdieSync account appear.
I guess there must be a reason to this problem, but by now I don't see it. I would need to be able to reproduce the problem.
Birdy