Device detected twice

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
Sam

Device detected twice

Post by Sam »

Hello,

Once connected and sync successfully my Android LG P698, next time BirdieSync does not recognize my Android LG P970 and creates a new device. So in the activation panel, I see two devices: one device called "LG-P698", last synced not so late, and another device also called "LG-P698" [connected] and never synced.
Full resync all contacts and events every time... It isn't good idea. Where it may be a problem?

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Device detected twice

Post by Birdy »

Hello Sam,

I sent you a new test version to investigate on your problem.
Birdy

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

After some analysis with Sam, it appeared that the problem was caused by the use of 2 different SIM cards on the same mobile device. It made BirdieSync consider it was dealing with 2 different devices when switching from one SIM card to the other one.
Birdy

servantoftheking

Post by servantoftheking »

This Problem didn´t happen if you use a Dual-Sim-Mobile
I use the Viewsonic V350, everything works fine.

How does BirdieSync identifie a device???

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

BirdieSync uses Android API to get an id for the device. In theory, it should not change along with the SIM card. But since these low level functionalities are implemented by Manufacturer, they may behave differently along with the devices...
Maybe the way device id is retrieved will be changed in the future.
Birdy

JanDoggen

Post by JanDoggen »

I have the same issue on my FairPhone model 1. It has 2 SIM card slots but only 1 SIM card.

Android 4.2, BirdieSync 2.4.8.0

When this happens I have to go through the entire sequence of making a backup first, switching "devices" and hoping everything goes OK. Activating both devices does not seem to be an option, because I have no idea if everyuthing stays synced properly if I do (when BirdieSync silently switches "Device").

What to do?

BTW Can you give me the *exact* method Birdy uses to detect the device (code)? With that information I can ask a specific question in the FairPhone forums.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello JanDoggen,

Do you change the slot of you SIM card ? Or does the configuration of your Smartphone remains identical ?

The way BirdieSync identifies a device has changed since version 2.3.10.3 for Android to avoid problems of identification. But to avoid impacting users, it still uses the old way of identifying the device if the app was simply updated from Google Play. So if you have never reinstalled BirdieSync app since 2.3.10.3, you may try uninstall BirdieSync app and then reinstall it.

Caution: Uninstalling BirdieSync app removes BirdieSync account (Android operating system does it and BirdieSync has no control over it). So if you have data (contacts or events) in BirdieSync account, they will be removed. BirdieSync settings will also be removed. So note them since you'll need to configure again BirdieSync app.
Ensure that Thunderbird is up-to-date before resinstalling BirdieSync app. To avoid any duplicates when synchronizing again, you may choose "Replace" option at first synchronization. Caution: it will remove all items in the contacts accounts and calendars that you selected to be synchronized in BirdieSync app settings.

Before any operation, I strongly suggest you to BACKUP your data as mentioned in this FAQ topic.

When you'll reconnect your mobile device, a new device should be identified (this is normal after a new installation of BirdieSync app).
Let me know if you still have problems with the identification of your device.
Birdy

JanDoggen

Post by JanDoggen »

I have updated Thunderbird [it already started complaining that Birdysinc 2.4.9.0 was not compatible wih the new version 31 ;-) ], Lightning and BirdieSync on the PC, removed and re-installed it on the Android. Birdiesync gives me warnings about mass operations it's going to do, so that made the transition relatively painless. First sync from PC to smartphone went correctly, I expect things to be fine now.

Thanks for your support.