Keeps asking for deletion of all desktop contacts

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Keeps asking for deletion of all desktop contacts

Post by Birdy »

@Daniel

Sorry for the late answer. It wasn't possible for me to immediately answer to you the last few days...
Let's try to clarify the situation:
On your Nexus device:
- Which contact accounts did you select to be synchronized in BirdieSync options ?
- Which DEFAULT account did you select in BirdieSync options ?
When you first successfully synchronized your Nexus device, how many contacts did you have in each contact account ? (look at BirdieSync options for that information, don't go on the web to check your Google account for instance)
How many contacts were successfully synchronized (look at BirdieSync Activation tab on the desktop for this information) ?
If you reconnect your mobile device, do you get the warning about deletions on the desktop ?
If not, if you reboot your mobile device and and reconnect it, do you get the warning about deletions on the desktop ?
When you get the warning about contact deletions, how many contacts did you have in each contact account ?
How many contacts BirdieSync wants to delete ?

Would you be interested in trying out the new beta version of BirdieSync to synchronize in the new BirdieSync account ? (which is a local one on the device, no data is stored on a remote server)

Thanks.
Birdy

dbqe

Post by dbqe »

Hi Birdy,

lately the problem did not occur again, but I will keep checking...

Here are some answers to your questions:
- Which contact accounts did you select to be synchronized in BirdieSync options ?
-> 'Phone'
- Which DEFAULT account did you select in BirdieSync options ?
-> 'Phone'

When you first successfully synchronized your Nexus device, how many contacts did you have in each contact account ? (look at BirdieSync options for that information, don't go on the web to check your Google account for instance)
-> I don't know the numbers at the first time. But at first time, my google account was checked as well by mistakte. Afterwards I unchecked the google account, deleted the contacts at google, resetted sync on desktop and started a new initial sync where I replaced all contacts on Nexus. Afterwares the 'delete all contacts' question popped up three times within approx. two weeks. When the question came I repeated initial sync to Nexus.
How many contacts were successfully synchronized (look at BirdieSync Activation tab on the desktop for this information) ?
-> 127
If you reconnect your mobile device, do you get the warning about deletions on the desktop ?
-> No, with my HTC sensation I never had this issue.
If not, if you reboot your mobile device and and reconnect it, do you get the warning about deletions on the desktop ?
-> No
When you get the warning about contact deletions, how many contacts did you have in each contact account ?
-> 127 in each
How many contacts BirdieSync wants to delete ?
-> all 127

Would you be interested in trying out the new beta version of BirdieSync to synchronize in the new BirdieSync account ? (which is a local one on the device, no data is stored on a remote server)
-> I will come back to this if the issue pops up again,

thanks so far, I will keep an eye on it,

best
Daniel

webinfo123

Post by webinfo123 »

I have exactly the same problem. Syncing with your beta doesn't ask for replacing contacts.

But somehow there are many many contacts in the gmail account (on the device). I don't know which accounts this are and what they do. I only see many strange records in some contacts.

dbqe

Post by dbqe »

Hi Birdy
I think I found the solution: indeed after a reboot the Nexus moved all contacts to my gmail account on the Nexus, but they were NOT uploaded (as intended) becaue I switched off syncinc contacts with my google-online-account. But they were shifted from the Birdysync account to the gmail account within the Nexus: thus the number of contacts I saw in the Birdysync options for the gmail account raised after each reboot and on next sync Birdysync wanted to remove all desktop contacts, because I selected the 'Phone' account in Birdysync options to be synchronized!
Now I switched this option to sync with my gmail account on the Nexus and everything works fine even after reboot: my desktop account is synced with the gmail account on the Nexus, ond they are NOT uploaded to Google online.

best
Daniel

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello Daniel,

When you say "BirdieSync" account I guess you meant the "Phone" account ?
So it seems your contacts were moved from the "Phone" account to the Google account (on the Android device) after the reboot by Android. Which would explain the problems you had.
Selecting the Google account to be synchronized with BirdieSync and no longer the "Phone" account solved the problem.

An additional question: when you edit a contact in your Google account on the Android device, do you have only one unique field for the postal address ? Or do you have separated fields: one field for the street, one for the ZIP code, for the town, etc. ?
Thanks.
Birdy

dbqe

Post by dbqe »

Hi Birdy,

yes, indeed it should read 'Phone' instead of "BirdieSync".
When editing the contacts I have only a unique field for postal adress,

best
Daniel

ericch

Post by ericch »

dbqe wrote:Hi Birdy
I think I found the solution: indeed after a reboot the Nexus moved all contacts to my gmail account on the Nexus, but they were NOT uploaded (as intended) becaue I switched off syncinc contacts with my google-online-account. But they were shifted from the Birdysync account to the gmail account within the Nexus: thus the number of contacts I saw in the Birdysync options for the gmail account raised after each reboot and on next sync Birdysync wanted to remove all desktop contacts, because I selected the 'Phone' account in Birdysync options to be synchronized!
Now I switched this option to sync with my gmail account on the Nexus and everything works fine even after reboot: my desktop account is synced with the gmail account on the Nexus, ond they are NOT uploaded to Google online.

best
Daniel
Thank you for this workaround with Android ICS.
After upgrading my LG Optimus P500 from CyanogenMod 7.2 to CM 9.2.1 (ICS), I had the same problem. With a synchronization of Birdiesync to "Phone account", I had this problem. After deleting all my contacts from my phone and synchronizing Birdiesync this time with "google account", I have no problem anymore.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

BirdieSync 2.3.9.0 has been released on Google Play. It now offers the possibility to synchronize contacts in BirdieSync account on Android 4.0 or later devices. So you no longer have to synchronize your contacts in the Phone account or in a Google account. The only constraint due to Android restrictions is that the postal address field is a unique field. There are no different sub-fields like address, zip code, town, etc. like there are in Thunderbird. So to properly synchronize these sub-fields with Thunderbird, you must enter the different sub-fields setting one sub-field per line respecting the following order:

address 1
address 2
zip code
town
state
country

Leave a blank line if you don't use a specific sub-field.
Birdy