Keeps asking for deletion of all desktop contacts

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
webinfo123

Keeps asking for deletion of all desktop contacts

Post by webinfo123 »

I have two android device. One ICS and one Jelle Bean.

When I try to synchronize with my Jelly Bean device the destop part of Birdiesync keeps asking if I want to remove 1187 contacts on my desktop. I don't want that because that is my main set of contacts. I already tried to reset everything, but it doesn't solve the problem.

I also notice that nicknames, websites, notes are visible multiple times on my Jelly Bean device.

Maybe something goes wrong when moving the contacts to my Jelly Bean device the first time and these fields are added multiple times. When BirdieSync will start synchronizing the second time, it will notice changes and tries to remove the "old" contacts on the desktop.

I am using Thunerbird 15.0.1, Birdiesync 2.4.3.0, Lightning 1.7 and the plugin "MoreFunctionsForAddressBook".

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Keeps asking for deletion of all desktop contacts

Post by Birdy »

Hello webinfo123,

Did you have this problem (warning about removing desktop items) at the very first synchronization with your JB device or after you synchonized a first time your device and then reconnected it ?
Which mode did you select when you did the first synchronization ? Replace or Combine mode ?
In which DEFAULT contact account on your Android device do you synchronize your contacts ?
Thanks.
Birdy

webinfo123

Post by webinfo123 »

Birdy wrote:Did you have this problem (warning about removing desktop items) at the very first synchronization with your JB device or after you synchonized a first time your device and then reconnected it ?
No this warning appears the second time. The first time works fine.
Birdy wrote:Which mode did you select when you did the first synchronization ? Replace or Combine mode ?
I did a replace (after reset) on the JB device.
I also removed all contacts on the device itself, did a reset and tried again.
Birdy wrote:In which DEFAULT contact account on your Android device do you synchronize your contacts ?
When I look in Birdiesync on the JB device, the default account is Phone (0 contact). The contacts are stored in the gmail account (8269 contacts < that is way too high).

The number 8269 is not the number of contacts I am synchronizing. I think this are also the multiple notes and nicknames. Something is wrong here. How should I fix this?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

What I suspect is that when a contact is created in the Phone account by BirdieSync synchronization, this contact is automatically moved a few seconds later to the Google account by Android. So all the contacts synchronized to the Phone account are then moved to the Google account by Android. That would explain why BirdieSync cannot find all these contacts in the Phone account at next synchronization (and so wants to delete them on the desktop), and why you have so many contacts in the Google account (a new copy of the contact is copied at each new synchronization).

A new test versionof BirdieSync for Android has been implemented with the possibility to use a BirdieSync account to synchronize your contacts to avoid using the Google account to synchronize. This is only possible since Android 4.0. Would you be interested in trying this new version ?
Birdy

webinfo123

Post by webinfo123 »

A new test versionof BirdieSync for Android has been implemented with the possibility to use a BirdieSync account to synchronize your contacts to avoid using the Google account to synchronize. This is only possible since Android 4.0. Would you be interested in trying this new version ?
Yes
My phone uses ICS do I van try it.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

An email was sent to you with the detailed instructions on how to install this test version.
Birdy

webinfo123

Post by webinfo123 »

I've installed the alternative version and tried to follow your instructions. I found some problems:
  • BirdieSync (on Android device over Wifi) tries to sync again just after it finished the previous sync
  • It's not possible to change the field order because the second address line will stay somewhere in the ordered list
  • The contacts are still moved to the Gmail account
  • The multiple notes (and other) records as mentioned in the opening post are still there
  • However I haven't seen the warning about replacing the desktop contacts

dbqe

Post by dbqe »

Hi Birdy,
I have a very similar problem - but slightliy different:

- I have one phone HTC sensation with Android 4.0.3 and a Google Nexus 7 Tablet, lates Android
- Sync with phone is always fine
- Sync with Nexus: Birdy asks (nearly) always to delete all desktop contacts. After this happened I seacrhed the forum and found the google-sync option: I switched it off, reseted Birdysync and re-synced. Afterwards I checked my google account: no contacts where synced to the google account (as it should be).
- The next day, new sync: Birdy asks again to delete all desktop contacts. I tried a Birdie sync-reset. After new complete sync I tried
- change a contact on desktop, new sync: everything fine, only the changed contact was synced
- change a contact on Nexus, new sync: everything fine, only the changed contact was synced
- change contacts, sync first with phone, then with nexus: still everything fine

->-> The problem alwas appears if I sync a few days later (no systematics up to now). Th funny thing is, that meanwhile nothing was changed on nexus. I am syncing with the 'Phone' account an the nexus.

Any idea?

Best
Daniel

webinfo123

Post by webinfo123 »

dbqe wrote:- I have one phone HTC sensation with Android 4.0.3 and a Google Nexus 7 Tablet, lates Android
Funny, I am talking about the same combination.
dbqe wrote:- Sync with Nexus: Birdy asks (nearly) always to delete all desktop contacts. After this happened I seacrhed the forum and found the google-sync option: I switched it off, reseted Birdysync and re-synced. Afterwards I checked my google account: no contacts where synced to the google account (as it should be).
How does this work?

webinfo123

Post by webinfo123 »

webinfo123 wrote:How does this work?
I found out how to do this.
Settings -> Account -> Google -> Untick checkboxes

Anyway I did that with the alternative BirdieSync APK and still there are more then 8000 contacts in my Gmail account (com.google). I have emptied all contacts accounts on the JB device and I have reset the synchronization. After synchronization the double fields are back. Then there are 8000 Gmail contacts and almost 1200 BirdieSync contacts (that is correct).

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

@webinfo123:

Regarding the test version that was sent to you:
BirdieSync (on Android device over Wifi) tries to sync again just after it finished the previous sync
If contacts are modified on Android during the synchronization, Android signals to BirdieSync that the contact database was modified. Which leads BirdieSync to launch a second synchronization to check that the user didn't modify a new contact while synchronizing. I'll see if it's possible to prevent from synchronizing a second time.
It's not possible to change the field order because the second address line will stay somewhere in the ordered list
Could you give more details about this problem ? I could move the "Address 2" field without problem in the ordered list and then save this option.
The contacts are still moved to the Gmail account
Did you select "BirdieSync" as the default contact account ? (and only this account is selected to be synchronized)
Do you mean that contacts initially created in the "BirdieSync" account are still moved to the Gmail account ? (in this case, you should see a warning mentioning the deletions of the contacts on the desktop at next synchronization)
The multiple notes (and other) records as mentioned in the opening post are still there
Maybe it's because the contact you see is the aggregation/link of BirdieSync contacts + Google contacts with the same name. So there is a single note for each instance of the contact with the same name.
Note that you can remove all contacts in a specific account with BirdieSync menu Remove contacts (so you may remove contacts present in Google account for instance).
However I haven't seen the warning about replacing the desktop contacts
This seems contradictory to the fact that contacts synchronized in BirdieSync contacts would be moved to Google account.
Birdy

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

@Daniel:

Hello Daniel,

Your problem could come if your Phone contacts are transferred by Android to the Google account (even if you disabled Google synchronization). On some devices that may happen a few seconds after the creation of the contact in the Phone account, or after a reboot.
If you say that this problem happens a few days later, maybe it could be after a reboot ?
Did you check in which account your contacts now belong to ? (you can check the details of your contacts, or the number of contacts for each account in Android BirdieSync settings)
Birdy

dbqe

Post by dbqe »

Hi Birdie,

I read about this behaviour in other threads and thus checked my google account immedieately: still not a single address present in my google account (as intended). Still, the strange behaviour remains. I will try to find systematics in it and report. Meanwhile: any other ideas - or test/debug-versions that do some logging available?

Best
Daniel

dbqe

Post by dbqe »

Hi Birdie,
I have re-checked two minutes ago: no contacts when checking in Gmail online with the Browser, but Birdiesync says there are 378 in my Google account. Ans idea?
Best Daniel

dbqe

Post by dbqe »

Hi Birdie,

any idea on this? Meanwhile I checked the contact count that Birdie shows in Seetings->Contacts on my phone: there it shows 3 contacts, which is correct. Only the Nexus shows the high number. Both devices are connected to the identical Google account...
Best
Daniel