Not able to sync Thunderbird / Lightning Tasks

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
hostricity

Not able to sync Thunderbird / Lightning Tasks

Post by hostricity »

First, I used your search to search for "android tasks" and got a message that said the search was too generic and it wouldn't give me any results, so please don't criticize for not finding this information in this forum.

I am using an LG Spirit with Android 4.0.4 and a Windows 7 64 bit desktop with the latest Thunderbird and Lightning. I use K-9 email on my Android.

All I care about is synchronizing contacts and tasks. I don't even have to use Thunderbird or Lightning. I am will to use any IMAP email client on my desktop and on my Android. (Any email client on my PC and on my Android which supports IMAP will synchronize my email!)

I was able to synchronize contacts. The lightning events calendar had nothing in it, but it did have a number of tasks.

BirdieSync said it couldn't sync tasks. I don't even know if I have an application on my Android for tasks that is compatible with Birdie Sync.

As I said, I am willing to use any applications on my desk top and any Android apps on my Android that will allow me to sync my contacts and tasks reliably.

Perhaps, you could suggest a software combination that will work with Birdie Sync correctly. I have about two weeks to get this worked out before my free trial of BirdieSync runs out. Obviously, I won't be buying BirdieSync if I can't synchronize tasks.

Thank you.

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Not able to sync Thunderbird / Lightning Tasks

Post by Birdy »

Hi hostricity,

I won't criticize, even if it's not the first time the question is asked. :wink:
The problem with Android is that there is no official task application. If you have one it is proprietary (added by the manufacturer), not officially provided with Android. So at the moment, synchronizing tasks would mean synchronizing with a specific task application.
Presently the priority is given to the development of important core evolutions in BirdieSync. But after, the synchronization of other type of data like tasks may be provided...
Birdy

hostricity

Re: Not able to sync Thunderbird / Lightning Tasks

Post by hostricity »

I hope you won't mind me mentioning 2 competitors products which I am using together to solve my problem.

First, I am using todoist for tasks because it integrates nicely with Thunderbird to create tasks from emails. It, as you pointed out, has its own task list on the Anroid.

Second, I use MyPhoneExplorer to manage my contact list, because once again, it integrates with Thunderbird. I also use MyPhoneExplorer to manage the files on my phone.

Third, I use the LG OSP (On-Screen Phone) to send and receive sms from my desktop. I could do this with MyPhoneExplorer, but I don't like its interface.

The big disadavantage of all of this is that I am using 3 different programs/services and it only fits my very specific needs. For example, I do not use a calendar. I simply setup todos for calendar items and then I have my calendar and my todos in a single interface on my Android and in Thunderbird on my desktop.

AS FAR AS I CAN TELL, a really simple contact, calendar, todo system that runs on all platforms and integrates with Outlook, Thunderbird, etc. on a PC, and with the contact list on phones, etc. doesn't exist. Seems like a business opportunity to me.