Wireless connection via celluler network

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
cem_ari

Wireless connection via celluler network

Post by cem_ari »

I'm connecting to my work network via VPN with 3G or wifi from my home or some hotel lobby or some cafe. I can check my emails, can do Remote desktop, ftp etc. I can connect LAN, WAN and DMZ networks from the internet. Doesn't matter assigned IP because firewall knows its me after authentication and will give me a special IP (office mode)
BTW i'm IT manager of company. So i can set rules and ports on firewall.

Birdiesync wireless connection is perfect via wifi. But not have available wireless network outside sometimes and i want to connect via 3g cellular network. But its not possible. Look at the picture attached please. I know its a local ip address but its not important. I explained above. Have any solution to fix this?

Thunderbird 24.1.1
Birdiesync 2.4.8

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Wireless connection via celluler network

Post by Birdy »

Hello cem_ari,

If you use an IP address beginning with "192.168." and are connected via a 3G connection, BirdieSync will display this error message.
Most of the time, this message is correct and allow to guide users and asks them to switch to Wi-Fi instead of 3G.
In your case, if you rely on a VPN connection, it's true that you may use a 192.168.x.x address with a 3G connection.
As a workaround, would it be possible to set another "local address", not beginning with "192.168." when you use the VPN ?
Birdy

cem_ari

Post by cem_ari »

Hi,

My VPN IP address is not beginning with "192.168." its "10.0.xx.xx"

its a technical limitation in BirdieSync? Or its just a prevention for data usage and cost while on 3G?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

The reason of this message was rather to warn the user that the mobile device is connected to a WAN while using a LAN address. For instance Wi-Fi can be disabled, a cellular connection active, preventing from connecting to BirdieSync local server.
Did you enter a 10.0.x.x address in BirdieSync app settings ?
Or a hostname ? (not sure if name resolution would work on the VPN because of broadcasting issues)
Birdy