BirdieSync preventing Thunderbird from shutting down

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
jpsa

BirdieSync preventing Thunderbird from shutting down

Post by jpsa » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:25 pm

Windows 7 SP1 64 bit, BirdieSync 2.4.10.0, Thunderbird 31.3.0

A few times recently I've had problems with Thunderbird not shutting down completely. It disappears from the screen, but thunderbird.exe is still showing in the Task Manager process list, and if I try to start a new copy of Thunderbird it fails with a message to the effect of "Thunderbird is already running" (I don't recall the exact text).

This evening this happened again today, and I finally put 2 & 2 together, and remembered that I had done a synchronization earlier in the day. Rather than killing the Thunderbird process from Task Manager, I did a File>Exit on the BirdieSync window and the thunderbird.exe process promptly vanished.

It's not as simple as just requesting a synchronize, though: I tried that (admittedly with nothing outstanding to sync), without provoking the problem. I'll try to keep an eye out in future to see if I can work out when the issue arises, but in the mean time I thought it worth posting this information here in case anyone else has seen the problem and any ideas!

Cheers,
John

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: BirdieSync preventing Thunderbird from shutting down

Post by Birdy » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:37 pm

Hello John,

I tried to reproduce the problem but didn't succeed. But maybe it happens in some specific cases... It will be necessary to investigate on this...
Birdy