Time Zone Conflict

If BirdieSync 3.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
Johnbouy

Time Zone Conflict

Post by Johnbouy »

I have set up Birdiesync 3.0 on a Windows 8.1 laptop (local Server) and an iPhone 6 (IOS 8.3). When I go to sync I get a Time zone conflict. Both Windows and IOS are set to GMT+10 (Australian Eastern Standard Time). The error message I get states:

The time zones of the synchronized sources are different:

default: 60 mn
XXX iPhone: 600 mn

Please check that the time zones are identical in each application or on each device.

Both Windows and the iPhone show the same time!

What is wrong with this?

Johnbouy

Re: Time Zone Conflict

Post by Johnbouy »

One additional detail is that this was for Calendar sync only (address book sync'ed successfully). There may be some entries which are in a different time zone (i.e. overseas flight details etc). IOS allows for events in different time zones.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello Johnbouy,

Did you check that Lightning timezone in Thunderbird was also set to GMT+10 (Australian Eastern Standard Time) ?
You can check it in Thunderbird menu "Tools/Options", "Calendar" panel, "Time zone" tab.
Thanks.
Birdy

Johnbouy

Post by Johnbouy »

Yes, that was it! I would have expected that it would have picked up the timezone from the system clock but that's too logical I guess.

A strange thing happened with an event in the near past (about 1 week ago). The event was scheduled for 1400 (2:00 PM). The detail of the event shows the start time as 1400. In the week view it shows it at 14:00 but in the day view it shows it at 05:00. Screwy to say the least!! Any ideas why this occurred?

Johnbouy

Post by Johnbouy »

Follow up on the last one each event is 9 hours different (day view -9 Hours, week view is correct). Very strange!

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

I guess the events were created in the GMT+1 time zone. That's why you see a 9 hours shift.
When you create a new event in Lightning (not an all day event), you'll see a timezone next the start and end time. If this time zone is different from Lightning current time zone, then you'll see a difference of hours when the event is displayed.

So for instance, if you create an event with a time zone in Paris (let's say you have a meeting in Paris at this local time), if you are in Austraulia and Lightning time zone is set to Australia, then the event will appear in the daily/weekly/monthly view with a difference of hours, using Australian time zone. If you change Lightning time zone to Paris time zone, then the event will be displayed with the time you used to create it.
Birdy

Johnbouy

Post by Johnbouy »

The event was created with eastern Australia time zone. It was a local flight.

It also does not explain why the time is wrong in the day view but correct in the week view. That is the peculiar thing about this problem.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

It could be a problem specific to Lightning. When I made some tests changing the LIghtning time zone, at some point i had to restart Thunderbird so that the new time zone set in Lightning was properly taken into account.
Birdy

Johnbouy

Post by Johnbouy »

Once again you're on the money. After restarting overnight the day view and the week view now agree. Very strange but I can live with that as it was only when I imported from the iPhone. Now I know what to look for I can handle it.

Thanks for your help.