Crash on Initial Sync

If BirdieSync 3.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
ldeffenb

Crash on Initial Sync

Post by ldeffenb »

Birdiesync 3.0.0.0 beta 9 is crashing on my Windows machine on first sync with my Android device.

Just re-installed Windows on a new SSD.
Had to re-install Thunderbird and got version 38.0.1
Switched from Sunbird (no longer supported) to Lightning 4.0.0.1
Exported my calendar data from Sunbird as an .ics file
Imported calendar to a fresh, clean, empty calendar in Lightning

Installed BirdieSync beta on both Windows and Android (after signing up and updating on the latter)

Worked through the massively new and different configuration screen and finally got all the "single source" errors resolved.

Synced, and it crashed. I happened to be watching Task Manager and the memory usage of Birdiesync ramped up to 1.9GB just before the crash.

Turned off the Events synchronization and my Contacts synced find.

Turned Events synchronization back on, watched Birdiesync hover at 60-80MB and then it quickly ramped up to 1.9GB and crashed again.

Turned off Preview and tried it a third time. Same behavior.

I have screen shots (large) and can provide my .ICS file if you need it to reproduce the error. Or if you can tell me how to find out how many events are in the calendar, I can provide that number.

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Crash on Initial Sync

Post by Birdy »

Hello ldeffenb,

A memory leak was identified but I don't know if it explains your problem.
Would it be possible to send your ICS calendar to support(at)birdiesync.com ? That would be great to try to reproduce this specific problem and watch the memory consumption.
Thanks.
Birdy

ldeffenb

Post by ldeffenb »

Sent. I'm open to testing any leak-fixed version against my sync crash problem.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

A new beta version 10 is available that should fix the problem. Performances to prepare the first synchronization has been also improved.
You may update to the latest version with BirdieSync menu "Help/Check for update". Let me know is you see some progress.
Birdy

ldeffenb

Post by ldeffenb »

Beta 10 did the trick. Initial synchronization is now complete.

However, the resynch does seem to take a lot longer than it did under the old BirdieSync. The phone's "Listing events" phase goes on for a long time. I know I have 800 or so events, but it's still longer than I remember from before.

But at least I can sync now! Thanks!