Thunderbird contact lists

If BirdieSync 3.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
hcgirard

Thunderbird contact lists

Post by hcgirard »

I'm very pleased to, at long last, be able to synchronize my Thunderbird address books. However, my contact lists don't get updated, which is a significant problem for me. Will this be fixed in the final release?

Thanks, Herb

I've just found that some contact modifications can cause the contact to be removed from Thunderbird address books!!!!

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Thunderbird contact lists

Post by Birdy »

Hello Herb,
I'm very pleased to, at long last, be able to synchronize my Thunderbird address books. However, my contact lists don't get updated, which is a significant problem for me. Will this be fixed in the final release?
Could you tell me on which mobile device (or Thunderbird application) you wish to synchronize your contact lists ?
On iPhone it doesn't seem possible to send mails to a group of mail addresses.
On Android, it depends on the manufacturer. This feature is not always available.
Presently, BirdieSync doesn't synchronize contact distribution list. It is very unlikely to be done before the final release of 3.0.
I've just found that some contact modifications can cause the contact to be removed from Thunderbird address books!!!!
Where did you modify your contact ? On Thunderbird or in another source ? (which kind)
Was the contact deleted or did you stop the synchronization before actually deleting it ? (thanks to the Operations preview window)
If you stopped the synchronization, what is the reason of the deletion mentioned in the Operations preview ?
If the contact disappeared in Thunderbird, when you look at BirdieSync History panel, do you see the deletion of this contact listed ?
Birdy

hcgirard

Post by hcgirard »

The problem occurs synchronizing two Thunderbird accounts. On initial sync, the many duplicates caused one side or the other to be deleted from one address book and replaced by the contact from the other. The deleted contact was removed from any groups of which it was a member, but the replacement contact was not added back to the original contact's groups. I have had similar problems modifying contacts after the initial sync.

I understand the limitations of Android contact groups, but this is Thunderbird to Thunderbird and is quite a serious flaw.

Heop that answers your questions.

Regards,

Herb

hcgirard

Post by hcgirard »

I see that BirdieSync 3.0 is now out of beta but it still does not handle lists properly. I realise this is a challenge when syncing across platforms but surely syncing lists between two Thunderbird 38.x address books is possible.

I use MoreFunctionsForAddressBook extension to add Categories that match my Thunderbird Lists so that my Android address book will have groups. If BirdieSync could just use Thunderbird lists then I wouldn't have to maintain Categories too.

Is there any plan to deal with these issues?

Thanks,

Herb