A nightmare

If BirdieSync 3.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
kd-66

A nightmare

Post by kd-66 »

I was happy with birdiesync 2 with Thunderbird (TB) and an iPhone for years. But no chance to switch to the current TB version 38. So I read that there would be a new Birdiesync-version soon. As I did not want to be a beta tester I kept my feet still and waited with Birdiesync 2 and an older version of TB. So a few days ago great news: final version available.

Now the nightmare started: backup of the database was one day old from the old version of TB/birdiesync. I installed TB 38.2 and the final version of Birdiesync. The next three hours I tried to understand the new user interface and how to connect one address-book (not the same name) and one calendar (also not the same name, but keep in mind that it worked fine in the older version). Why does the new version not look at the old version?
Finally I started the first synchronization: horror, contacts ok, events doubled in both systems! I tried to restore the backup but this was not possible because the backup was from the old TB version (ok, my mistake). I deleted manually the doubled entries (the next two hours), the of course prepared a backup.

Next day (today): set iPhone (ios 8.4) to write only and replace, TB to read only. Worked, happy, but iPhone 601 events, TB 1270 events?? I bought the license.

Next chapter in the nightmare:
iPhone read/write, TB read/write. Result: iphone 1035 events (a lot of doubles), TB 1273 events. So I restore the backup and started as in the morning: result iPhone 601, TB 1270 events.
iPhone write only, TB read only, start connect, 291 ops will be modified (in the iPhone), ok.

Then I started the same procedure a few times without altering anything:
375 modification, next time 213 modifications, next time 194 modifications, next time sync failed (source disconnected), repeated the sync 356 modifications, then 81 operation, then a sync fail failure, and so on and on and on.
The result: The idea of the program is good and I really need to have this sync but I cannot trust the program any more.

Spider

Re: A nightmare

Post by Spider »

Did you sent log files to birdie?
Version from ios and windows ?

kd-66

Post by kd-66 »

Windows 7, ios 8.4 now switched to ios 9 on an iPhone 5s.

No log file up to now. I will do that tomorrow
Best regard
kd

kd-66

Post by kd-66 »

Good morning,
next day, next problem: it is not possible to generate an error log. "An error occureds while builing the log archive"
I only can send the Birdiesync.log from the iPhone
best regards
kd

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello,

As it might be of interests for some other users, here is how to synchronize together 2 address books (or calendars) with different names:

By default address books are synchronized together if they have identical names. If you wish to synchronize together address books with different names you have 2 possibilities:
- You both set these address books as "Main" (select an address book and click on gear menu button on the right above the address book list in Configuration view, and select "Set address book as Main")
- Or you can explicitly map address books together: click on the black folder with an arrow inside on the left above the address book list in Configuration view. Then you can map 2 address books together

How address books can be synchronized together is described in more details in Help documentation, section "Configuration/Folder matching". You'll also find configuration examples in section "Configuration/Examples".

After analysis, the problems of duplicates and repeating synchronizations were mainly caused by interactions with iCloud. After being synchronized in iCloud account on the iPhone, events were modified by iCloud which normalized them, and this could happen a short time after synchronization. So events could be considered as modified after the synchronization. The fact that the calendar was Read Only in Thunderbird could lead to repeated synchronizations since every time an event was synchronized in iCloud, it could be modified again by iCloud.
Note that if you create an event in Thunderbird and synchronize it to the iPhone on iCloud, the event is usually not modified by iCloud. But it could happen in some specific cases, if for instance events were stored locally on the iPhone, synchronized a first time to Thunderbird, all iPhones events transfered to iCloud (iCloud being enabled on the iPhone), synchronization reset, and all events combined again.

This problem should be fixed in a next version of BirdieSync.
Birdy

kd-66

Post by kd-66 »

Hello,
I would like to thank Birdy. In the meantime I had a long mail-conversation with them and they sent me a new beta-version. This version seems to fix my problems.
Best regards
kd