BirdieSync individually synchronizes each contact present in an Android account. It means that if you have a contact John Doe present in WhatsApp and local Device account on Android, BirdieSync may synchronize 2 contacts (one for each account), even if Android aggregates these 2 contacts in the Contact app so that only one contact is displayed.
Now the question is to know which virtual address book mode you chose for your Android device. If you have one unique "Address book" displayed in the Android address book list, it means that this address book contains all contacts present on the Android device in all Android accounts. So if you synchronize a contact John Doe which appears in WhatsApp, LinkedIn and the local Device account, you'll have duplicates in Thunderbird "Personal Address Book".
To avoid this problem, it is rather recommended to use virtual address books based on accounts. This way, you can synchronize one unique Android account (local Device account (vnd.sec.contact.phone) for instance) with "Personal address book" in Thunderbird.
If you are interested in synchronizing only vnd.sec.contact.phone account (local Device account) with "Personal address book" in Thunderbird:
Before any operation, I STRONGLY suggest you to backup your data as mentioned in this FAQ topic:
If you wish to change your virtual address book mode to account mode:
- Select BirdieSync Configuration view in BirdieSync main window on the PC
- Select your Android source in "Sources" column
- Select "Contacts" in "Contents" column
- Above the address book list, on the left, click on the gear button to open the Address book configuration
- Select "Each contact account represents an address book"
- Press OK
(If you need more information, open BirdieSync help (menu Help/Help) and refer to section "Configuration/Folder configuration)
You'll then have one address book for each Android account ("vnd.sec.contact.phone", WhatsApp, LinkedIn, Gmail, etc.)
You may then check the content of each address book by selecting it and checking the preview of items window on the right.
If you wish to synchronize the local Device account ("vnd.sec.contact.phone") with "Personal address book" in Thunderbird, they need to be both set as Main since they have different names (usually only address books with identical names are synchronized together, but address books set as Main are also synchronized together)
- Ensure that "vnd.sec.contact.phone" is set as Main: in the address book list, in the Status column, you should see a little house icon. If not, select this address book and above the address book list, on the right, click on the gear button and select menu "Set address book as Main".
- In the same way, ensure that Thunderbird "Personal address book" is also set as Main (after having selected Thunderbird source and Contacts)
- Then set ON "vnd.sec.contact.phone" and "Personal Address Book".
This way, "vnd.sec.contact.phone" on Android should be synchronized with "Personal address book" in Thunderbird.
(If you need more information, open BirdieSync help (menu Help/Help) and refer to section "Configuration/Folder matching)
Now since your "Personal Address Book" in Thunderbird should contain all Android contacts with duplicates, you may want to replace them with the content of Android account "vnd.sec.contact.phone".
If you wish to replace the content of "Personal address book in Thunderbird":
CAUTION: This will remove contacts in Thunderbird "Personal address book" at next synchronization.
- Select Thunderbird source in "Sources" column
- Select "Contacts" in "Contents" column
- Select "Personal Address Book" in address book list
- Above the address book list, on the right, click on the button with the circular arrow with the point and select "Replace this address book with address book from other sources".
(If you need more information, open BirdieSync help (menu Help/Help) and refer to section "Configuration/Synchronization mode)
Before launching the synchronization, ensure that the preview of operations before synchronization is enabled: use menu File/Preview options (the option must be checked in blue), or the "Preview operations" icon on the right of the main synchronization progress bar (the button is COLORED if the preview is enabled)
Launch the synchronization and check in the preview window that the operations to be performed suit your needs. If not cancel the synchronization.