Thunderbird extension not initializing

If BirdieSync 3.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
brentl99

Thunderbird extension not initializing

Post by brentl99 »

I recently upgraded to Birdiesync 3.2.1.2 with Thunderbird 60.2.1 under Windows 10
The Birdiesync add-on appears Enabled under Thunderbird, but I do not get any Birdiesync icons in Thunderbird, and the Birdiesync server says "Initialization failure of Birdiesync Thunderbird extension".
I have tried restarting Thunderbird.
I have looked at the support documentation for Birdiesync and Thunderbird, but none that documention applies because it has not been updated for seemingly many years.
How can I diagnose this?
Thank you.

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Thunderbird extension not initializing

Post by Birdy »

Hello brentl99,

There might be a problem with Thunderbird add-on cache which doesn't properly load BirdieSync add-on.

If you go in Thunderbird menu "Tools/Options" / "Advanced" panel / "Network & Disk space" tab / "Disk space", press "Clear now" button and then restart Thunderbird, does it help ? If not:

- Close Thunderbird
- Uninstall BirdieSync (caution: ensure at the beginning of the uninstallation that option to keep BirdieSync data is checked).
- Start Thunderbird to force uninstallation of BirdieSync add-on (this step is important)
- Reinstall BirdieSync
- Start Thunderbird and enable BirdieSync add-on
- Check that BirdieSync add-on is properly enabled and running (you should see BirdieSync toolbar with some text to describe the status of the connection or synchronization).

Thanks.
Birdy

brentl99

Post by brentl99 »

Thank you that worked.
However, the checkbox to keep BirdieSync data does not appear to have worked.
I am having to go through and re-setup all my synchronization properties.
And that is fine, at least everything is communicating now.
Thank you.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

I tested again the uninstallation but BirdieSync with option "Keep BirdieSync user data" ticked and configuration was properly kept untouched.

Note that uninstalling BirdieSync app on the Android device is usually not recommended since it would remove all BirdieSync data including BirdieSync local account. If BirdieSync app is then reinstalled, the source would be considered as a new Android device. But in this case the configuration of Thunderbird synchronization would be still present in BirdieSync.
Birdy

brentl99

Post by brentl99 »

Thank you for testing that, I can't explain what happened then.
I sync between an iPhone, and Thunderbird running on Windows 10.
The only component I upgraded was BirdieSync on Windows 10 because it stopped working when Thunderbird updated.
Thank you again for your help.

dinchis

Post by dinchis »

Upgraded Thunderbird to 60.3.1
Upgraded Birdiesync to 3.2.1.2
Thunderbird Add ons says Birdiesync not compatible. There is no option to remove.
Saw method above but when I go to uninstall in Windows 10 the Windows uninstall button does not have a “keep data” check, just the Uninstall button.

dinchis

Post by dinchis »

Sorry, now OK. The upgrade to 3.2.1.2 had failed because of firewall/virus checker issues with your setup file. Trusted you and overrode these, now seems OK.