Thunderbird 3.2.4.2 -- Sooooo sloooow

If BirdieSync 3.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
ajramsayjaneway

Thunderbird 3.2.4.2 -- Sooooo sloooow

Post by ajramsayjaneway »

I think this started with 3.2.4.0, but sync used to take a few seconds and now it takes ten minutes or so. Is this supposed to happen? It definitely doesn't feel like an improvement. :(
Alice in Illinois

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Thunderbird 3.2.4.2 -- Sooooo sloooow

Post by Birdy »

Hello ajramsayjaneway,

How many contacts do you have in your address books ?

There are 2 things to consider:

- Firstly if you've just updated from Thunderbird 68 to Thunderbird 78, it was necessary to reset synchronisation and resynchronize all contacts from scratch because of Thunderbird internal changes regarding contacts. Since Combine mode is selected by default, it means that all contacts on both sources must be read and compared one to one to avoid duplicates. This may take some time but only at the very first synchronization. Once synchronized, the next synchronizations (in usual Synchronization mode) should be far more quicker as it used to be before you updated to Thunderbird 78.

- Secondly, Thunderbird team fully rewrote address book internal engine. And until Thunderbird 78.1.1 it suffered from important performance issues which could freeze Thunderbird for a long time and so hugely slow down synchronization. It seems that performances were improved in Thunderbird 78.2 which is presently Release Candidate and should be released in a few days.

Before Thunderbird 78.2.0 would be released, some tests have been done with BirdieSync to workaround these new Thunderbird performance issues. These workarounds might be included in a next version of BirdieSync.
Birdy

ajramsayjaneway

Thank you for your response.

I have 546 contacts in my address book.

I did read that the first sync would be longer, so I accepted that. But in each subsequent sync, the checking for duplicates part still takes 10 to 15 minutes.

I am now on Thunderbird 78.2.1 as of a couple of days ago. I'll see if it gets any better when I do my next sync (every Saturday).
Alice in Illinois

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Checking for duplicates might take time (as Combine first synchronization mode) because all contacts on each sources need to be compared one by one. So it is not recommended to leave this option checked all the time if you want to have quick synchronizations.
Birdy

ajramsayjaneway

It's much faster now, not as fast as before, but tolerable. I always had the option checked before and never had this problem. Oh well. It's better now.
Alice in Illinois

obalik

Post by obalik »

Thunderbird is pretty fast