Starting with iOS 14.5 BirdieSync App fails to "Find BirdieSync server"

If BirdieSync 3.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
KingTutt

Starting with iOS 14.5 BirdieSync App fails to "Find BirdieSync server"

Post by KingTutt »

After updating my iPhone 7 to the latest release of iOS 14.5 the iOS App of BirdySny 3.0.0.12 fails to "Find BirdieSync server". After a while searching for host with BirdieSync a message is displayed that "Host with BirdieSync not found". It is still possible to connect, when the option to search is disabled in the settings and the hostname or IP address is specified manually. (Host is running Windows 10 Pro and BirdieSync 3.2.4.3, Thunderbird 78.10 64bit)

I retested within the same network with two other device, one still on iOS 14.4.2 (iPad) and one also on 14.5. The one on iOS 14.4.2 can directly find t and connect the server, the one on iOS 14.5 has the same problem as my iPhone where the connection times out. However, the proposed work around work, too.

Kind regards
KingTutt

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Starting with iOS 14.5 BirdieSync App fails to "Find BirdieSync server"

Post by Birdy »

Hello KingTutt,

I'm sorry for the annoyance. It seems that iOS 14.5 now requires BirdieSync app an additional permission so that it is able to dialog and locate BirdieSync server. The appropriate Apple service has been contacted so that BirdieSync app is granted such permission. Let's hope they'll answer quickly, even if they may took a little while to grant this authorization. A new version of BirdieSync app will then be published after this new permission is granted.

In the meantime, as a workaround, it is necessary to enter the IP address of BirdieSync server to be able to connect to it (as you did). Note that entering a hostname can fail in the same manner as the "Find BirdieSync server" option since they rely on the same mechanism.

If the IP address of your PC is dynamic, it means that it may change after a reboot (restart) of your computer. So in case you don't succeed in connecting again, please check the IP address of your PC hasn't changed.

Thanks.
Birdy

UlliB

Post by UlliB »

I upgraded to iPad OS 14.5 yesterday and I tried to synchronize with BirdieSync today. The synchronization went through without problems.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Apple granted the required permission. A new version of BirdieSync app has been submitted for review. I'll keep you informed when it's finally available.
Birdy

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

BirdieSync app for iPhone/iPad, version 3.0.0.13 has been released and should be progressively available on the App Store.

On iOS 14.5 or later, if you selected "Find BirdieSync server" in BirdieSync app options or uses the server hostname, the first time you try to connect, you should see a popup window asking you to grant access to Local network. If you don't, all next attempts to find BirdieSync server or resolve the server hostname will fail. Note that is is always possible to change this permission setting in iOS Settings / BirdieSync / Local network.
Birdy

KingTutt

Post by KingTutt »

I just got the new version from the App Store and can confirm, that the option "Find BirdieSync server" is working again! Thanks for the quick fix.