"Circular" sync?

There is always a place for lost subjects who apparently don't fit the previous forums. This is the one...
tobiasly

"Circular" sync?

Post by tobiasly »

I use two computers, at home and at work, and use Thunderbird on each. Both Thunderbird instances point to the same WebDAV calendars.

My question is, can I use BirdieSync to sync my phone to both these computers? I was worried this may cause duplicates, because if I make changes to the WebDAV calendar, it will show up in both Thunderbird instances. Will this be seen as two "new" items, or will BirdieSync correctly identify them as the "same" item?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

I think you are right. If the remote calendar is shared on both computers, it would create duplicates. The only solution would be not to synchronize it on one of the computer and use the "exclude category from synchronization" feature in calendar option.
The other way would be to be able to remove duplicates after synchronization. Maybe it will be provided in a next feature. Presently it only works when creating a partnership for the first time with "Combine" option selected. And this mechanism has still some drawbacks.
Birdy

tobiasly

Post by tobiasly »

Don't all ActiveSync items and Thunderbird events have some sort of internal GUID to prevent such duplicates?

tobiasly

Post by tobiasly »

OK, I tried to sync with the 2nd (work) computer and choose "combine". Now all my Events are conflicted, and it won't resolve them. And there are tons of duplicates on my Smartphone, but my WebDAV calendar seems fine.

So, at this point, I'd rather just wipe out all Events on my Smartphone and push them from the WebDAV calendar. How do I do that?

As far as synchronization, I'll only sync from my work computer and not with my home computer to work around this problem for now.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Even if events have potentially same ids (same webDav calendar), they are considered as different items since they are associated to different Thunderbird profiles. Furthermore, ActiveSync mechanism doesn't consider that a calendar could be shared between 2 computers. So even if it is the same event, it will be considered as double (one for each computer).

If you want to start from scratch, if you are on windows XP, the best thing is to delete the ActiveSync partnership, and choose the "Replace" option: that will replace all your appointments on the mobile with webDav calendar items.
But doing that will lead to the replacement of your other item categories (cards, tasks and mails) by the desktop ones. Check before that your webDav calendar is OK with all your events. And do a backup before any operation !
Birdy

tobiasly

Post by tobiasly »

OK, that makes sense, thanks for the info. I'll delete the partnership and start fresh.