My fix for any upgrade problems (eg. TB2)

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
Lone

My fix for any upgrade problems (eg. TB2)

Post by Lone »

I have encountered problems before with upgrades on Birdiesync (one about a month ago updating to latest version and today upgrading to support TB2).

After much frustration I thought I would share some times on how exactly I have done these upgrades to get them to work right.

The most common problem I face is it trying to uninstall and re-install birdiesync on both the PC and phone. Below is the steps I urge you to try first to upgrade successfully:

1. Connect phone, wait for activesync to finish and goto Tools -> Add/Remove Programs and remove 'Callicia Birdiesync'.

2. D/C your phone and soft reset (using phone on/off button) your phone.

3. Goto Start -> All Programs -> Birdiesync and select Uninstall. Leave to keep your key and preferences ticked to save them.

3. Now also reset your PC to start it out fresh.

4. Now install Birdiesync and carry on as usual, you seem to have a much better chance doing it as a 'fresh' install.

Hope this helps some people out there!

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello Lone,

Thanks for sharing this information with us. Uninstalling the previous version is the recommended method before installing a new one. And it should also be removed manually on the mobile too (ActiveSync doesn't offer a way to remove it programatically). It is also a good thing to start Thunderbird or/and Sunbird right after the uninstallation to properly remove BirdieSync extension before installing a new version.

Do you remember which kind of problem you met during a new installation ?
Birdy

Lone

Post by Lone »

It would give the error on the mobile that it had not installed properly along with not being able to sync with the pc. Cant remember the exact error sorry.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

If there was an error installing BirdieSync on the mobile under windows Mobile 5.0, that could be a problem described in this thread. It is a Windows Mobile 5.0 problem, and the only workaround I know is to remove BirdieSync very quickly after the mobile rebooted to be able to reinstall it without problem.
Birdy

tobiasly

Post by tobiasly »

Thanks for the info Lone.

Birdy, I think this information is helpful enough to be linked from a tab on the front page of the website. Most such software has a "How to Install" tab, with one section each for "Fresh Install" and "Upgrade".