Sync Birthdays

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
fireball

Sync Birthdays

Post by fireball »

Hi,

do birthdays get synced somewhere in Thunderbird Address Book? Unfortunately, I didn't find them, maybe I've overseen something in Thunderbird?

Best regards
Marcus

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Yes they are synchronized (stored in Thunderbird database). But current Thunderbird user interface don't give access to them. You could check out MoreColsForAddressBook extension to access to these data but this extension doesn't seem to check the date format. So if the date is invalid, that could lead to problem in synchronization later...
Birdy

fireball

Post by fireball »

Great, thanks for quick reply - I really fell in love with birdiesync - hope the vista issues get resolved soon (before my trial expires), so I'll purchase - need beta testers? ;)

girtsn

Post by girtsn »

Hello,
I have some problems with syncing contact's birthdays data (bought Birdiesync).
1) I change the birthday on thunderbird, but the changes are not being synced to my device.
2) There have been some problems with my contacts - with moving one day of birthday back (for example - was birthday on 01/06/1981, now is 31/05/1981). The problem is random (not all contacts)
Girts Niedra

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

It is very likely a time zone problem. I will check it...
Birdy

Justus

Post by Justus »

Hey,
I have installed TB v2.0 and lightning v0.31. To make the Birthdays visible, I installed the extension "MoreColsForAdressBook" v0.36. The birthdayfields are now displayed, but not all of them gets synced. The birthdays are shown on my my mobile device (PocketInformant) but Thunderbird shows 0.0.0 in the most Cards.
Got a problem like thisfor some weeks ago. Some appointments was not synced. The device was hardreseted and BS hat to sync all appointments. It worked fine for around 50% of the appointments. But the rest was not synced. The "workaround" was to export them, delete them and import them again.
Whats wrong? Got anybody else a problem like this?
Best regards,
Justus

StraightShooter

Can't sync Catagories with that same extension

Post by StraightShooter »

I have Thunderbird, Lightning, and I am TRIALING BirdieSync. I tried that aftmentioned extension too.. only for Catagories. Doesn't work..

I am probably going to wind up going with Outlook. Too many loose ends here...(not really BirdieSync's fault...)

Thanks

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

I'll do some tests soon regarding these problems. I'll keep you informed.
Birdy

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

> Justus.

Without the logs, it will be difficult for me to know what could have been the origin of your problem (appointments which didn't synchronize). If you ever meet the problem again. Copy and send me the logs right after the problem.

I will check the birthday synchronization. I'll keep you informed.
Birdy

Justus

Post by Justus »

The Birthdayproblem i stil not fixed..... So if you think it could help, I will post the log.
Justus

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

> Justus

I made some tries with the birthday synchronization but I cannot reproduce the problem.

Could you check for contacts which don't synchronize properly that even if you can see the birthday in PocketInformant, you can also see it in the contact in Pocket Outlook ? If you modify something in this contact, can you check it is properly synchronized in Thunderbird ? What about the birthday then ?
Birdy

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

> StraightShooter

Actually Category display is a new feature of MoreColsForAddressBook. Presently BirdieSync doesn't support category synchronization for contacts. But it could do it in a next version. But I think it will only synchronize one category (Pocket Outllok can manage several ones). Would it be enough to synchronize only one category (knowing that it is the case for events and tasks) ?
Birdy

StraightShooter

Birdy wrote:> StraightShooter

Actually Category display is a new feature of MoreColsForAddressBook. Presently BirdieSync doesn't support category synchronization for contacts. But it could do it in a next version. But I think it will only synchronize one category (Pocket Outllok can manage several ones). Would it be enough to synchronize only one category (knowing that it is the case for events and tasks) ?
I'm afraid not. I have numerous clients that fall under multiple catagories.. Don't get me wrong... I really want to use your product. I like Thunderbird more than Outlook. It's just THOSE little things that make people stay with Thunderbird.

If I may suggest, why don't YOU write an extension for Thunderbird and give it away for free, with the idea that if someone likes the idea of birthdays and multiple contacts to sync they can buy BirdieSync. The extension would be your "Loss Leader".. No one else is doing it now, and you would be in a market that is sorely needed. A complete Outlook alternative. What's better to spend? $27 for BirdieSync - Thunderbird - And your extension? Or $109 for Outlook?

StraightShooter

Birdy, please tell me when..

Birdie,

I've been assessing everything. When do you think the next version of BiirdieSync will support at least one catagory? If Pocket Outlook can handle multiple ones, then I will be willing to Buy BirdieSync soon. Eventually, however, I would think it would be a smart thing to support multiple ones..

Thanks
Jim

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Contact category synchronization should be supported in the next release.
For the moment I don't know yet if multi categories synchronization will be supported.

The idea to develop an extension is a possibility but it would require time. And the other problem is that to do things properly, it would require a database change for performance reason. Anyway I keep the idea. :)
Birdy