Moving from Lightning to SunBird

There is always a place for lost subjects who apparently don't fit the previous forums. This is the one...
robb

Moving from Lightning to SunBird

Post by robb »

I'm thinking of moving from Lightning to SunBird. How do I make this as painless as possible for BirdieSync? If I just uninstall Lightning and install SunBird, will BirdieSync cope (and keep synchronising)?

If there's anything I should do that's not BirdieSync related, I'd be interested to know that too!

Cheers,

Robb

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Here is a way to transfer all your events and tasks from Lightning to Sunbird and keep synchronizing them with BirdieSync:

Thunderbird profile: C:\Documents and Settings\<users name>\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\<profile id>
Sunbird profile: C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\Mozilla\Sunbird\Profiles\<profile id>

Before any manipulation, backup your Thunderbird profile and Sunbird profile.
If you want to, you can backup your mobile with PPCPimBackup.

- Disconnect your mobile
- In Sunbird profile, rename "storage.sdb" to "storage.sdb.bck"
- Copy "storage.sdb" from your Thunderbird profile to your Sunbird profile: that will replace all your sunbird events and tasks with Lightning ones.
- Launch Sunbird
- Check that you have all your previous events and tasks in Sunbird
- Under Sunbird, configure BirdieSync options with the current Sunbird path and profile
- Choose "Sunbird" as calendar application in BirdieSync options
- Set the correct time zone in BirdieSync options
- Choose the calendars that you want to synchronize
- Save BirdieSync options
- Reconnect your mobile
- A new synchronization should remove all your appointments and tasks on the mobile and replace them with Sunbird ones.
Last edited by Birdy on Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Birdy

robb

Post by robb »

Thanks Birdy.

I'll give that a go.

Will check out PPCPimBackup too, as I've been looking for a way to backup / archive my texts too.

Cheers,

Robb

robb

Post by robb »

Birdy wrote:- Copy "storage.sdb" from your Thunderbird profile to your Sunbird profile: that will replace all your sunbird events and tasks with Lightning ones.
Not working...

SunBird ignores the new "storage.sdb". It won't read events from it and won't save new events to it. So I just have a permanently empty calendar...

Edit: but exporting the calendar and reimporting it seemed to do the trick.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Weird. I tried again to copy storage.sdb and it worked flawlessly...
Anyway, the most important is that your method works properly. :)
Birdy

robb

Post by robb »

Yeah, I was surprised. I opened both storage.sdb files in an editor and they seemed to be the same format as one another. But I tried repeatedly and it just ignored it. I checked that it wasn't read-only, and even tried rebooting, but to no avail. I guess there was something in there it didn't like...